Financial Aid at the UVM Medical Center
If you can't pay for medical services, that should not prevent you from getting the care you need. There are many options, including discounted and free care, for people who do not have insurance, who are not eligible for a government program, or who are insured but cannot pay for some reason. Please find more information below, and call (802) 847-8000 with questions.
For Patients Without Insurance
We offer discounts for patients without insurance. You may also qualify for further financial assistance. Please see below.
Discounts for medically necessary care
For patients who are not enrolled in a third-party insurance plan (view list of insurance plans), the UVM Medical Center offers a discount for medically necessary care. Below are some examples of services that are not eligible for a discount:
- Cosmetic procedures
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Sterilization reversals
If single service costs more than $5,000, you may get a discount if you pay the full balance at the time of service. This is called a ‘prompt pay discount'.
- A 30% discount is available when paid in full at time of service.
- Patients with insurance are not eligible.
- International discounts cannot be combined with any other discount, package pricing or global fees.
If You Need Financial Assistance
- You must live in our service area. You must be a full-time Vermont resident or have lived more than six months in Vermont, or in the following New York counties: Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Washington, Hamilton, Warren or St. Lawrence. If you do not meet these requirements, you will only qualify for emergency care.
- Your medical service or procedure must be medically necessary. (For example, cosmetic procedures, IVF and sterilization reversals are not eligible.)
- If you are eligible for government-sponsored programs, you are required to apply for Medicaid or coverage on the state health exchange before you will be considered for our Financial Assistance program.
- Your income must be below 400% of the Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (FPLG).
- Your assets must be below $50,000.
- If your income is above 400% of the FPLG, you can write a letter describing why you will have a hard time paying for your medical service. This will be reviewed by an appeals committee.
- If services are above 400% of the FPLG and are catastrophic in nature, coverage is available when the balance due exceeds 35% of the annual household income.
If you can't pay your bill in full, we can help set up budget payments. This lets you make smaller payments over time, with no interest. The first step is to contact us:
- For Hospital and Physician Bills: contact Patient Financial Services at (802) 847-8000.
- For Anesthesia Bills: contact PAR Management at 1 (866) 727-2040.
Below are general budget payment guidelines:
Min Monthly Amount:
|$50.00 - $150.99
|$151.00 - $525.99
|$526.00 - $962.49
|$962.50 - $1,400.99
|$1,401.00 - $2,550.99
|$2,551.00 - $4,600.99
|$4,601.00 - $8,750.99
|$8,751.00 - $10,800.99
|Vermont Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (FPLG)
How To Apply
To apply for the UVM Medical Center Financial Assistance Program, please complete the financial assistance application form and return it, along with the required documentation, to:
The University of Vermont Medical Center
Financial Assistance Program
1 South Prospect Street, 2nd Floor
Burlington, VT 05401
If you have any questions about our Financial Assistance Program or your application status, contact customer service at (802) 847-8000 or 1 (800) 639-2719 (toll-free) or via email at customerserviceuvmhealth [dot] org (c).
If you are applying for Vermont or New York Medicaid and have questions: please contact our Financial Advocacy department at (802) 847-1122.
Providers Who Offer Discounted Care
Not all providers are covered by our financial assistance policy, but the providers listed below do offer discounted care at the University of Vermont Medical Center. If your provider is not listed they are not covered under the financial assistance policy.
Here is how discounted care breaks down by the different types of bills you will receive:
- Hospital Bills: All UVM Medical Center eligible services are covered under the financial assistance policy.
- Provider Bills: To determine if your provider is covered under the financial assistance policy, please see the list below: