Recreational Therapy at the UVM Medical Center
Providing recreational services and resources to patients to help restore and rehabilitate them is the primary goal of Recreation Therapy at The University of Vermont Medical Center. Through recreational activities, the effects of one's illness or disability can be reduced or even eliminated.
Implemented by a therapist, goal-directed interventions are provided to improve a person's functional abilities, including range of motion, communication, social skills, and memory.
Leisure education is a shared responsibility between the therapist and patient. Here, the focus is on healthy leisure skills and attitudes and on finding community resources and adaptive programs which are related to the patient's recreational goals.
Provided by the Recreation Therapy staff, recreation participation consists of patient-directed activities that may be done independently and continued after discharge.
"It is the philosophy of the Therapeutic Recreation program that leisure and recreation are inherent aspects of the human experience. Therapeutic recreation is a process of utilizing recreation activities for intervention in physical, emotional, and/or social behavior to bring about a change which promotes the growth and development of the individual."
- Reducing the symptoms of chronic or degenerative disorders
- Maintaining socialization with family and friends
- Improving physical health and reducing health risks
- Creating and maintaining support systems
- Successfully continuing old hobbies
- Pushing oneself beyond self-imposed limits
- Recreation Therapist - a Certified Recreation Therapy specialist who has at least a bachelor's degree in Recreation Therapy, has completed an internship in a clinical setting, has passed a national exam, and is certified by the National Commission on Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC)
- Recreation Therapy Assistant - has at least an associate's degree in Recreation Therapy and has completed an internship in a clinical setting
- Intern - a Recreation Therapy student who is completing a clinical internship under the supervision of a Recreation Therapist
Find a UVM Medical Center doctor or specialist or call 802-847-5314.