Outpatient Rehabilitation Therapy
790 College Parkway
Colchester, VT 05446-3007
Rehabilitation can be a critical step in recovering from an illness or injury. At our rehabilitation therapy center, we use the latest research to inform our treatments and therapies. We strive to help you regain your maximum level of function and independence.
Rehabilitation at UVM Medical Center: Who We Are
- Licensed Occupational Therapists specialize in evaluation and treatment of self-care, work and leisure activities considering individuals' physical, cognitive, and psychosocial challenges and strengths.
- Licensed Physical Therapists specialize in the evaluation and treatment of skills in functional mobility and walking with coordination, balance, strength, flexibility and endurance training.
- Licensed Speech Language Pathologists specialize in the evaluation and treatment of communication and swallowing disorders. These include problems with speech, voice, language, thinking and swallowing.
- Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurses review medical history, disease management, medications, vital signs (blood pressure, heart rate, lungs, and oxygenation), nutrition, hydration, pain, elimination, cognition, and support system. Provides education regarding all of the above. Assists patients and their family/caregivers identify outside referrals and resources.
Who We Work Closely With
With a team approach our goal is to make sure you get the best quality care designed for your specific needs. We work closely with:
- Medical Psychologists who specialize in the evaluation and treatment of emotional, cognitive and behavioral difficulties resulting from medical illness or neurological trauma.
- Specialty Physicians and Providers (Physiatry, Neurology, Otolaryngology (Ears Nose and Throat) , Neuro-Optometry, Oncology)
- Medical Equipment Vendors/Suppliers
Conditions We Treat
- Traumatic and acquired brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Neurologic movement disorders
- Neurologic Degenerative Diseases
- ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis)
- Vestibular Rehabilitation
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo
- Meniere's Disease
- Cervicogenic (Neck pain)
- Central Vertigo (stroke, brain injury)
- Lower limb amputations and prosthetic gait training
Clinics and Programs We Offer
- Lymphedema Clinic
- Falls Prevention Clinic
- Movement Disorders Clinic
- Brace Clinic
- Prosthetics Clinic
- Muscular Dystrophy Clinic
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Clinic
- Wheelchair Clinic
- Assistive Technology
Rehabilitation Therapy Treatments
Rehabilitation therapy treatments include:
Depending on the type of service you need, appointment requirements are as follows:
- Physical Therapy, and Occupational Therapy - require a physician referral for evaluation and treatment.
Please note that financial coverage for evaluation and treatment are subject to the conditions of your particular insurance policy. Please bring any records or diagnostic studies such as X-rays, CT scans or MRI. This will assist us in developing a comprehensive plan of care for you. For more information call 802-847-1902.
Research & Clinical Trials
As a university hospital, we continually pursue better ways to serve our patients. Rehabilitation patients at the UVM Medical Center benefit from the knowledge that comes from our active research. Our discoveries not only improve care for patients at the UVM Medical Center but across the country. Learn more about Clinical Trials and Research in rehabilitation.
For Medical Professionals - Rehabilitation
How to refer a patient to Rehabilitation at The UVM Medical Center:
- Call: 802-847-1902
- Call (toll free): 888-362-3242
- Fax Referral Line: 802-847-2001
- Email: ReferralCenteruvmhealth [dot] org. Note: please send encrypted files.
For information on the Office of Provider Relations, Provider Access Services and Patient Placement Services, visit Patient Referral Resources.
- Fellowship and Residency Programs - We offer residency and fellowship programs in over 17 service lines. Find out about our Orthopedic Surgery Residency program. For more information and a full list of our residency and fellowship programs visit GME.
- Continuing Medical Education (CME) – Our CME program offers a series of medical courses for health care professionals to learn about new and developing areas of their fields. Visit CME.
- Grand Rounds - Grand Rounds present current medical topics and developments. They are sponsored by individual departments on a regular basis.
The Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation encompasses a broad spectrum of research trials that offer our patients access to cutting-edge treatments. For more research information visit The Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation at the University of Vermont or go to Office of Clinical Trials Research to receive up to date information on the latest clinical trials.
Careers in Rehabilitation
Looking for a career in health care? Visit UVM Medical Center Careers for more information.