Choosing a Family Medicine Provider for Your Prenatal Care
Making the decision to start a family means finding a prenatal care provider you can trust. Many women don’t realize that their primary care physician may be able to provide those services – meaning you don’t have to transfer to a new practice or find a new doctor when you become pregnant.
Family Medicine providers are general practitioners trained to care for patients of all ages. At the UVM Medical Center, several of our Family Medicine physicians are fully trained and credentialed in obstetrics, and have collectively delivered hundreds of babies over the course of their careers.
These providers are able to provide all of the services you’ll need as your family grows, including prenatal care, labor and delivery, postpartum care (including breastfeeding support and family planning), and both pediatric and adult primary care. This continuity of care allows patients to build strong relationships with their physicians, and gives them the flexibility and convenience of having one provider to treat the whole family.
Our providers are ready to help you take this exciting new step in your life and to care for your family as it grows.
"Choosing Family Medicine for my pregnancy care was the best decision I ever made. Every step of the way, it was a very personalized experience – I always felt like we had a plan, I had an advocate and I was totally supported throughout both of my pregnancies."
- Ashley M., Family Medicine Patient
Benefits of Choosing a Family Medicine Provider Specializing in Obstetrics
- Continuity of Trusted Care: Choosing your family doctor for your obstetric care ensures a smooth transition into prenatal care. Your doctor already knows your medical history and family planning goals.
- Convenience and Ease: All of your healthcare needs can be met in a single convenient appointment – you won’t need to make multiple appointments to see various providers.
- Complete Family Care: Once your baby is born, both you and your baby can continue to see your doctor. The same doctor can also treat your whole family (including your partner and other children), regardless of age.
- A Network of Expertise: If higher risk care needs develop, our Family Medicine providers work closely with specialists within Obstetrics and other UVM Health Network departments, allowing for easy access to more specialized care and consultations.
Schedule Your Appointment
Comprehensive obstetric services are available at the following Family Medicine locations. Call us today to schedule your appointment.
Family Medicine - S. Burlington
3 Timber Lane
South Burlington, VT 05403
Family Medicine - Milton
28 Centre Drive
Milton, VT 05468
Family Medicine - Hinesburg
37 Haystack Road
Hinesburg, VT 05461