Chaplain Hours & Availability
Daily 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(802) 847-2775, located in Patrick 131, Medical Center Main Campus
For Emergency Spiritual/Emotional Needs Any Time
Call the hospital operator (802) 847-0000 and ask for the chaplain on call.
UVMMC Interfaith Calendar
The mission of the Spiritual Care Department is to encourage and support holistic well-being of all persons at the UVM Medical Center by providing emotional and spiritual support, especially in times of crisis, chronic illness or imminent death.
Our team of interfaith chaplains responds to the basic universal human needs of those we serve. Our chaplains offer spiritual care and emotional support, routinely and in crisis situations, for people of all faiths and spiritual identities as well as for those who have no particular faith or affiliation. Spiritual care may include honoring what is most sacred and precious to patients and families; finding and fostering forgiveness and reconciliation; sharing in prayer, blessings, and/or meditation; marking and ritualizing life transitions, particularly at End of Life; and thinking through and making important decisions.
The UVM Medical Center Spiritual Care Department chaplains are keenly aware of the diverse religious, spiritual and cultural needs of our community. We seek to treat all people with respect, dignity and compassion, and to attend to and honor the ways they make meaning.
An essential part of UVM Medical Center’s commitment to providing whole-person patient care, our interfaith chaplains are fully integrated members of UVM Medical Center's treatment teams. The department's spiritual care staff is comprised of Board Certified chaplains and chaplain interns training in our ACPE nationally accredited Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) center.
Interfaith chaplains are routinely available between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. daily, and at other times for emergencies. Whenever possible, we seek to provide for the particular spiritual and religious needs of each patient and family.
If you are in need of assistance, please call the Spiritual Care Department confidential voice line at 802-847-2775, located on Patrick 131, Medical Center Campus.
The following are many of the ways we serve UVM Medical Center patients, families and staff:
- Spiritual visits to patients and families
- Assessment and support of spiritual needs
- Roman Catholic Sacramental ministry -- the sacraments of Anointing of the Sick, Holy Communion and Confession
- Spiritual support in emergency situations
- Support in times of decision-making
- Ministry to grieving and bereaved persons
- Spiritual support for staff
- Short-term spiritual counseling and referrals
- Regular and special worship services
- Networking with community clergy
- Educational events and workshops
- ACPE Accredited CPE program
- Providing Bibles and other spiritual literature
- Providing information on the multicultural/spiritual traditions of various faith groups
- Coordinating and supporting volunteers who assist the staff in bringing Holy Communion and visiting patients.
We welcome you to get in touch with us about other ways we may be helpful to you.