Radiation Oncology - Main Campus
111 Colchester Avenue
Main Campus, Garden Pavilion, Level 2
Burlington, VT 05401-1473
The Radiation Oncology Department at the University of Vermont Cancer Center uses 3D conformal radiation therapy (3D-CRT) to create 3D images of your tumor and surrounding organs and then match radiation beams precisely to your tumor size and shape.
3D Conformal Radiation Therapy at the UVM Cancer Center
Our Garden Pavilion houses all radiation oncology services in one convenient location. Here, our specialists provide a comprehensive approach to cancer treatment. When you choose to undergo 3D-CRT at the UVM Cancer Center, you benefit from:
- Targeted treatment: 3D-CRT is one of many precise radiation treatments we specialize in that allows us to administer radiation directly on your tumor, regardless of its shape or size. This leads to better results and less radiation exposure of healthy tissue.
- Experience and expertise: Our team of radiation oncologists has advanced training in their specialized fields. Each year, we treat more than 800 people who have cancer.
- Teamwork: Our radiation oncology team works seamlessly with your physician, surgeon, hematologist and other medical professionals to provide a comprehensive approach to your individual cancer care.
- Patient support: At the UVM Cancer Center, our goal is to enhance your quality of life both during and after cancer treatment. Our Cancer Patient Support Program provides emotional and educational support to you and your family. Our free Steps to Wellness program helps you regain muscle strength and increase stamina so you can more quickly return to enjoying everyday activities following cancer treatments.
- Therapeutic touches: We designed the Garden Pavilion to provide both comfort and privacy based on input from patients and families. Each treatment area has two exam rooms and two private changing rooms complete with personal restrooms and lockers. Rooftop flower and vegetable gardens offer a tranquil retreat for you and your family. Natural light from skylights and windows brighten and warm the facility.
- Convenience: Our location adjacent to the Vermont Medical Center and the parking garage provides easy access between the areas.
What is 3D Conformal Radiation Therapy (3D-CRT)?
The irregular shape of many tumors makes it a challenge to irradiate cancerous cells without damaging healthy surrounding tissues and organs. 3D conformal radiation therapy ensures a more targeted delivery of radiation to the cancerous area.
Your physician uses ultrasound images and special computer technology to make 3D models of your tumor and surrounding organs. This information helps match radiation beams precisely to the size and shape of your tumor.
Your physician aims these specially-shaped beams at your tumor from several different directions. This decreases radiation exposure to surrounding healthy tissues and organs. A plastic mold resembling a body cast may immobilize you during the procedure.
Benefits of 3D-CRT
This type of targeted radiation therapy allows us to better treat irregularly shaped tumors. Other benefits include:
- More precise delivery of highly-concentrated radiation to targeted cancerous area
- Limited radiation exposure to surrounding healthy tissues and organs
- Fewer side effects than standard radiation therapy
- Can be combined with other cancer treatments for greater efficacy
Am I a Candidate for 3D-CRT?
Your physician may recommend 3D conformal radiation therapy if you have: