111 Colchester Avenue
Main Campus, Main Pavilion, Level 5
Burlington, VT 05401-1473
If you have portal hypertension, you need the care and expertise of a specialized group of physicians who work together as a team to provide advanced care.
Diagnosing Portal Hypertension at UVM Medical Center
UVM Medical Center's physicians are specially trained in advanced technology to diagnose portal hypertension.
Endoscopy is any procedure performed using a small, flexible tube (called endoscope) with a tiny camera on the end. The endoscope is inserted into the throat, allowing doctors to see the esophagus, stomach and small intestine. Endoscopy identifies any gastro-esophageal problems.
- Imaging tests - Your doctor may order any of the following, which take pictures of the inside of your body:
- Physical exam
- Blood tests may indicate problems with your liver function.
- Biopsy to remove a sample of tissue for analysis in a laboratory. We perform this procedure one of two ways:
- Fine-needle aspiration: Removal of tissue using a thin needle
- Core biopsy: Removal of tissue using a wide needle
Learn more about treatment for portal hypertension .
For more information call 802-847-8865.