1 South Prospect Street
Arnold, Level 2
Burlington, VT 05401-3456
Spasticity is a movement disorder that affects muscle control. Usually, it means there is a breakdown in communication from the brain and spinal cord to the muscles. It is typically caused by other neurological conditions such as Multiple sclerosis, Cerebral palsy, Stroke, and others. Our experts in neurology at the UVM Medical Center are at the forefront of research and treatment of spasticity and work with you every step of your treatment.
Spasticity Care at UVM Medical Center
Our team of experts at the UVM Medical Center provide leading care of Spasticity:
- As the largest medical center in the state, all of the different specialists that come together to diagnose and treat your spasticity will be working together in one location.
- Our entire staff at UVM Medical Center is committed to providing you individualized care for your spasticity and will work to keep you involved in your care from diagnosis to treatment.
- The physicians, researchers, and teachers in our neurology department are always up to date with the latest technologies in diagnosing and treating spasticity.
If you think you may have spasticity, or have suffered from related conditions, your doctor will commonly use one of these methods to diagnose your spasticity:
- A thorough physical examination and conversation. Questions could include:
- When did you first notice the spasticity?
- How severe is it?
- Do you notice it all the time?
- Are there things that make it better or worse?
- Do you have other symptoms?
- Which muscles are affected?
- Muscle movement tests, which could include:
- The voluntary and involuntary movements of your limbs.
- The frequency and intensity of the involuntary (spontaneous) muscle movements.
- How well you can carry out certain daily activities.
Treatments for Spasticity
This section consists of a brief intro text that highlights the treatments and/or procedures that UVM Medical Center offers related to this condition. Write an introductory sentence and then list the treatments offered for this condition in a bulleted list. You should provide a brief description of each treatment and include an in-line link to the appropriate treatment page, if available.
Spasticity is a common symptom of underlying neurological issues, including: