Schedule a Consultation
Request an appointment online with a UVM Medical Group Orthopedic Surgeon.
Returning patient? Log in and schedule your appointment through MyChart.
New patient? Click the button below to schedule a consultation.
Millions of people throughout the United States suffer from knee pain every day, preventing people from moving and enjoying everyday activities.
At The University of Vermont Medical Center, we believe each person's knee pain deserves individual, personalized attention from highly skilled specialists who are experts in their field. We offer the latest treatments and therapies for knee pain, injuries and conditions, including arthritis, chronic knee pain, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL) tears, as well as offering patients the benefits of advanced technology through robotic surgery and minimally invasive surgery.
Knee Pain: What You Need to Know
Our orthopedic surgery team uses the latest technology and robotic surgery, where appropriate, to treat knee pain. Another example of the leading-edge technologies we use is for active knee patients: the Smith and Nephew LEGION Cruciate Retaining Knee implant with FDA-cleared VERILAST Knee Technology. This implant is an innovative solution with the potential to double the life of traditional knee implants to 30 years, under normal conditions. The VERILAST Technology is combined with Smith and Nephew's VISIONAIRE custom-fit surgical instrumentation system for knee replacement surgery. Together, the VERILAST and VISIONAIRE technologies offer patients a longer-lasting, more natural feeling knee joint with a shorter recovery period than traditional knee joint replacement options.
We provide an accessible, personalized approach tailored to your individual knee pain needs. We will meet with you and answer any questions you have. Our goal is to help you find the knee pain treatment that is right for you.
Experienced, Trusted Expertise
Our orthopedic team has more than 50 years of combined experience in knee pain diagnosis and treatment and knee replacement surgery. As a university hospital, our expertise comes from a deep grounding in scientific knowledge and innovation. Patients have access to all the resources of our institution - from the best possible diagnostic services to the latest treatments, including robotic surgery, to the most advanced rehabilitative care. Additionally, you will feel the advantage of a strong emphasis on patient education. We are here to answer any questions you have, at any point in your care. We encourage you to learn as much as possible about your knee pain condition.
What is Knee Pain?
Knee pain is a common problem, and it can be confusing because there are many causes. It is important to make an accurate diagnosis of the cause of your symptoms so that appropriate treatment can be directed at the underlying problem. Some common causes of knee pain are:
- Arthritis (Degenerative joint disease of knee)
- Avascular necrosis of knee
- Bone cancer
- Bone contusion
- Bone infection (osteomyelitis)
- Cartilage injury
- Fracture: thighbone (also called femur), tibial plateau, kneecap (also called patella)
- Knee dislocation
- Ligament injury
- Anterior cruciate ligament injury/sprain
- Medial collateral ligament injury/sprain
- Meniscus tear
- Metastatic bone disease
- Osteochondritis dissecans
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis
- Sickle cell disease of bone
- Spontaneous osteonecrosis of knee
- Traumatic knee injuries
Knee Pain Diagnosis and Treatment
At the UVM Medical Center, our expert orthopedic specialists have extensive experience in diagnosing the cause of knee pain. We offer a comprehensive set of treatment options, including robotic surgery and minimally invasive techniques. We work closely with you to help you find the treatment that is right for you.
Our physicians are highly trained in performing surgical procedures for knee pain. Knowledgeable orthopedic surgeons use advanced technology to perform about 355 inpatient knee replacement surgeries per year.
Download our information sheet about total joint replacement and joint reconstruction or orthopedic infection prevention at the UVM Medical Center.
We've prepared a number of resources for you, as part of our commitment to patient education. We know you want to be as informed as possible about your condition and treatment options.
- Patient forms - Save time by filling out these forms ahead of time in the comfort of your own home.
- Information Sheets. Download an information sheet about total joint replacement and joint reconstruction at the UVM Medical Center. You can also read about orthopedic infection prevention at the UVM Medical Center.
- Review information from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the National Institute of Health, on:
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement (for multilingual translations)
- Anesthesia for Knee Surgery
- Getting Ready for Surgery (for multilingual translations)
- Alternatives for Pain Management After Joint Surgery
Orthopedic Infection Prevention
View Our Locations