Musculoskeletal imaging at the UVM Medical Center
Musculoskeletal (MSK) imaging is used to diagnose conditions affecting your muscles, bones, joints and soft connective tissues. Musculoskeletal disorders include sports injuries, joint replacements, arthritis and malignancy (cancer).
At The University of Vermont Medical Center, your care is provided by a team of board-certified, fellowship-trained radiologists with extensive experience interpreting musculoskeletal images, ensuring you receive timely results from a knowledgeable expert. We provide your doctor with key information to aid your diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation and get you back on your feet as quickly as possible.
- Multidisciplinary care: Our MSK experts work closely with orthopedic surgeons, rheumatologists, oncologists, physiatrists and other specialists, as well as your primary care physician. Together, we provide timely diagnostic results and improve your treatment and recovery.
- State-of-the-art equipment: Our advanced imaging technologies, including a 3T Philips MRI scanner, deliver high-quality images for accurate diagnoses. We also offer image-guided therapies like joint injections to relieve pain and improve mobility.
- Specially trained staff: Our compassionate technologists prioritize your comfort during imaging exams, understanding the challenges of musculoskeletal injuries. Our MSK-certified sonographers are skilled at using ultrasound imaging to capture clear and detailed pictures of joints and other areas of the body while in motion.
- Evidence-based care: Our physicians are nationally recognized for their contributions to musculoskeletal imaging, and are always seeking to provide you with research-driven care. We actively collaborate with the National Institutes of Health-funded Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory at the University of Vermont to improve patient care and outcomes through new discoveries.
Conditions we treat with musculoskeletal imaging
Musculoskeletal problems can result from situations you encounter in your daily life, from sports activities and occupational hazards to traffic accidents. They can also be caused by disease or genetics. Your doctor may order a MSK exam to identify or evaluate a number of different conditions, including:
- Bone and soft tissue tumors
- Muscle and ligament tears
- Rheumatologic disorders
- Traumatic and sports injuries
At the UVM Medical Center, our MSK specialists expertly perform image-guided, minimally invasive pain interventions (injections) for the treatment of joint pain and inflammation.
Types of musculoskeletal imaging exams
Depending on your musculoskeletal disorder, your MSK radiologist or ordering physician may recommend one or several imaging exams using a variety of imaging equipment. Each imaging technology provides a different perspective on the area of concern to give your care team a more complete picture of your condition for the best assessment and care planning.
MSK imaging and therapies may include the use of:
- Computed tomography (CT scan)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Awards and certifications
Registered Musculoskeletal Sonographers
The UVM Medical Center MSK team includes ultrasound sonographers who have passed the rigorous requirements leading to Registered Musculoskeletal Sonographer (RMSKS) certification. Awarded by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS), this hard-earned recognition of achievement ensures that our staff is qualified to provide you with the highest standard of care. Many of our team members are trained in multiple radiologic specialties.