Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Closed Weekends and Holidays
Pharmacists are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Phone: 802-847-3353 or 800-284-6630 (toll-free)
Email: specialtypharmacy [at] uvmhealth.org
If you or your loved one has a chronic health condition, you know the importance of following a prescribed treatment plan. The UVM Medical Center Specialty Pharmacy gives you access to a full range of pharmacy and support services and offers a convenient and personalized medication management that is close to home.
Personal Patient Care at the UVM Medical Center
Our dedicated clinical pharmacists and patient care coordinators are at the heart of our patient management program providing support, medication education, and regular follow-ups to patients, caregivers and family members.
Key aspects of our patient management program include:
- Educating patients on the appropriate use of their medications
- Providing resources to enhance medication adherence and compliance
- Promoting continuity of care during all health care transitions, including hospitalizations
- Facilitating collaboration among patients' various healthcare providers
- Helping patients manage side effects or adverse events to their medications
- Counseling on self-care strategies and general health promotion
- Advocating for the empowerment of patients, caregivers and family members
Patients have the right to opt out of the patient management program at any time. If patients no longer wish to participate in the program, they can contact us directly at 802-847-3353.
How Our Specialty Pharmacy Staff Works for You
- Once you have been referred to the UVM Medical Center Specialty Pharmacy, a patient care coordinator will contact you to explain our services and reimbursement. Your coordinator will also plan shipment of your first order.
- A clinical pharmacist will review the medication therapy with you, including how to take your medication and its possible side effects.
- After that consultation, a patient care coordinator will contact you each month to coordinate additional shipments (generally 7 days in advance of when your next refill is due).
- The UVM Medical Center Specialty Pharmacy coordinates all billing and prescription drug plan claims on your behalf. We are happy to relieve you of the headaches of completing forms and filing claims. We submit claims to private insurance companies, Medicare and other third-party payers. Many major drug plans cover our services. If your plan requires you to use a pharmacy other than ours, we will help connect you with that service.
- Our patient care coordinators will also help identify patient assistance programs to help with medication costs.
- The pharmacy team will help coordinate any additional services and support needed, including nursing and home health services, as well as patient support groups.
- You may be asked to provide credit card information for processing of your co-payments and coinsurance. This information is required for us to coordinate your bill and drug plan claims on your behalf.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can all patients use the UVM Medical Center Specialty Pharmacy?
Not all insurance companies cover our services. If a patient must use a different pharmacy, we will help facilitate the referral process to that pharmacy.
Does your Specialty Pharmacy carry all specialty medications?
The UVM Medical Center Specialty Pharmacy does not have access to all specialty medications. In situations where this occurs, we will help you to figure out where the medication must come from.
How is the UVM Medical Center Specialty Pharmacy different from other pharmacies?
Our program is designed to meet the unique needs of the patients we serve. UVM Medical Center pharmacists and technicians have advanced training to prepare them to care for our specialty patients. Our pharmacy team is also the only team that has access to your complete medical record to facilitate accurate and efficient coordination of your medical care.
How do I obtain refills for my medications?
Each month you will be contacted by a patient care coordinator who will coordinate shipments, as well as monitor your progress with your therapy. If you are given a new medication or dose change, please contact the Specialty Pharmacy so we can make proper arrangements.
What happens if my prescription coverage changes?
If your prescription coverage changes at any time, please contact the Specialty Pharmacy promptly so we can update our information. If your new plan restricts you to a particular pharmacy, we will help to transition your care to that pharmacy provider.
Are necessary supplies provided with my medications?
Yes, we will provide all necessary supplies for you to take your prescription as directed.
What if there is a weather-related emergency, disaster, or other delays in my medications?
The Specialty Pharmacy team will contact affected patients to coordinate management of their medications. Patients are also encouraged to contact the Specialty Pharmacy directly.
What if I suspect an error has occurred?
If you feel there has been an error with your medication order, you should contact the Specialty Pharmacy team immediately. They will promptly address any issues.
What about generic medications?
The lowest-priced equivalent drug will be dispensed to you, unless you or your prescriber request otherwise. Please note that not all specialty medications are available in generic forms.
What should I do if I have problems with my medication?
If you experience problems with your medication therapy, you are encouraged to talk to your pharmacist. Your pharmacist can help you monitor your condition and get the most benefits of your medications. Your pharmacist can also limit and manage side effects and identify drug interactions. A pharmacist is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Contact Our Specialty Pharmacy
For questions or concerns please call us at 802-847-3353 or 800-284-6630 (Option 6). A clinical pharmacist is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays, to answer any immediate concerns.