At The University of Vermont Medical Center, our pharmacy is more than just a "drugstore." We provide comprehensive pharmacy services for our patients and for the community. As part of The UVM Medical Center team, we are an integrated part of your healthcare experience, offering our expertise on everything from medication side effects to home infusion services.
Pharmacy Services in Burlington, VT
We work closely with your physicians and nurses to provide you with expert, comprehensive care. We provide care that is:
- Specialized - We have extensive training and experience in medications, dosages and side effects. Many of our pharmacists completed Pharm D (doctor of pharmacy) degrees, are residency trained and board certified.
- Safe and Effective - Patient safety our highest priority. We are in constant communication with you and your medical team to make sure your medication regimen is appropriate and safe.
- Personalized - From the moment you enter the hospital through your discharge and follow-up care, we are with you to help you manage your medications.
Pharmacy Services: The UVM Medical Center Approach
Whether you are an inpatient at our hospital, require continuing medical care at home or simply need a prescription filled, our pharmacy services provide the personalized care you need. Our specially trained pharmacists work closely with you to help manage your medical care.
- Retail pharmacy
- Home infusion services
- Inpatient pharmacy
We provide the convenience and ease of a walk-in retail pharmacy with the expertise of a university-affiliated hospital. Our pharmacists don't just fill prescriptions. We provide education and counseling for our patients as well. You can feel confident that your medication regimen is safe and appropriate for you. Our pharmacists:
- Provide any medication you need, including specialty drugs not available at all retail pharmacies
- Make sure you understand any possible side effects of medications and how to manage them
- Can access your electronic medical records (EMR), if you were a patient at UVM Medical Center, ensuring that we provide accurate, effective care
UVM Health RX - Mobile App
Register for our mobile app and manage your prescriptions from your mobile device.
- Request refills through the app
- Receive notifications when your prescriptions are ready
- Schedule custom reminders to take or refill your medication (can be by text or app notification)
- View prescription history, including expense, directions, drug name and etc.
- Look up your prescriber's information
- Request prescription transfer from another pharmacy to UVMMC pharmacy using the app (take a picture of the label)
- You can also do all of these for every member of your family using your app on your account
Home Infusion Service
The UVM Medical Center is the only hospital in the state to offer a home infusion program. We offer our services to the communities surrounding Burlington, Vermont and northern New York. Home infusion refers to home care services you may need after being discharged from the hospital, including intravenous (IV) treatment for:
- Delivering antibiotics if you have an infection
- Providing nutrition if you are unable to eat
- Continuous chemotherapy, a treatment for certain types of cancer
The advantage of home infusion services is that you continue to receive high-quality medical care from the comfort of your own home. To ensure your safety and health, we:
- Use a specialized computerized system that ensures your product was prepared and delivered properly
- Work with a local home health care company, such as
VisitingNurse Association (VNA), to arrange for a nurse to come to your home to administer the infusion
- Call you once a week to check on your home infusion and other medications
You can always reach our pharmacists, any time of day or night. Call us at 802-847-5519.
Inpatient Pharmacy at The UVM Medical Center
At The UVM Medical Center, we emphasize multidisciplinary care. If you are an inpatient at our hospital, your medical team will also include expert pharmacists. Your pharmacist will be in charge of all of your medications during your care and will continue the care as an outpatient, if necessary. Our pharmacists help ensure the safety and health of our patients and provide education and consultation.
Services we provide for our patients:
- We review your current medications when you are admitted to the hospital.
- We work with your physicians to make treatment recommendations during your stay.
- If you are on high-risk therapies, we offer ongoing education and counseling.
- Before discharge, we make sure you understand your medication regimen, answer any questions you have and help coordinate outpatient or home infusion care.
Pharmacy Professionals: Training at The UVM Medical Center
We are also proud to train and mentor the next generation of pharmacy professionals, offering specialty learning through general practice and critical care residency programs. Learn more about Pharmacy residency training at The UVM Medical Center.
View Our Locations