UVM Medical Center's Geriatric Psychiatry service offers expert and compassionate care for the elderly population. We are one of the geriatric psychiatry programs in the region. We provide our elderly patients with a comprehensive mental health care, including in-depth assessment and personalized treatment plan.
Geriatric Psychiatry in Burlington, VT
If you or a loved one is dealing with a mental health disorder, such as depression, anxiety or memory problems, you may be overwhelmed about the next steps. At UVM Medical Center, we give our elderly patients the time, attention and dignity they deserve.
Our Geriatric Psychiatry service evaluates and treats elderly patients experiencing disorders such as:
- Affective and anxiety disorders
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Late-life psychotic disorders
- Other mental disorders of old age
We proudly serve the residents of Vermont and upstate New York. Patients come from all over to receive the expert, specialized care our geriatric psychiatry program provides.
Geriatric Psychiatry: The UVM Medical Center Approach
We have a patient- and family-centered approach to care. We encourage you and your loved ones to be active members of your team, helping to create a personalized treatment plan.
We strongly believe in practicing multidisciplinary care, and we work closely with other departments to provide the full spectrum of treatment services. We collaborate with these services within UVM Medical Center to coordinate referrals and patient care. We are integrated with:
- UVM Medical Center's Memory Center. Learn more about UVM Medical Center's Memory Center
- Clinical Neuroscience Research Unit
- Psychotherapy Department
We also collaborate with community-based practices. We will:
- Work with your primary care provider to ensure that your treatment is incorporated into your general medical care
- Help you coordinate referrals and appointments for local services in the community, such as therapy and home care
Elder Care Psychiatry Assessment: What to Expect
When a patient comes to our clinic, a psychiatric resident and board-certified geriatric psychiatrist will complete the assessment and plan the treatment.
Before your first visit, we send out an evaluation for you and your family members to fill out. That way, we start your evaluation with as much information as possible. The initial evaluation lasts for approximately 90 minutes. We encourage our patients to bring loved ones to the consultation, so we can create a treatment plan together
During the consultation, we will:
- Discuss the primary reasons for your visit or referral
- Review your past and current medications and social history
- Conduct a memory screening, depression screening and suicide screening
- Identify which members of your support team will be involved in planning for your care (spouses, children, friends, loved ones)
- Discuss treatment options and create a plan for your care moving forward
We will take the time to make sure you understand the results of the assessment and your treatment options. We want our patients and their loved ones to make the most informed, educated health care decisions possible.
Geriatric Psychiatry: Treatment Options
We offer a comprehensive menu of treatment options, including:
- Medical management, finding the correct combination of medications and right dosage to manage your condition and improve your symptoms
- Psychotherapy, referring you to an experienced psychotherapist in the area
- Electroconvulsive therapy, a treatment for depression
- Community-based services, such as home care or nursing services