Inpatient Psychiatry at the UVM Medical Center
The University of Vermont Medical Center offers a nurturing environment where our teams of caregivers combine their dedication to patients with the lastest technology to ensure you receive the best care possible.
At the UVM Medical Center, we encourage each individual to be at the center of their treatment plan and recovery process. Our treatment team works with the patient and their family to meet the needs that led to hospitalization and establish ongoing support in the community. We recognize the value of including families and friends in patient care and allowing patients to decide who can be at their bedside and when.
A Team Approach
Patients meet daily with a psychiatrist. They also work with residents, medical students, social workers, group therapists, nurses, and mental health technicians. Each day, patients are encouraged to participate in education, process and leisure based groups. There are 4-5, hour long groups offered each day.
View Our Locations
Inpatient Psychiatry Information for Friends & Family
When You Arrive
For your convenience lockers are available just outside the unit. We ask that you store your personal belongings before you enter the unit. Below is a list of restricted items:
- Weapons (view our weapons policy)
- Smoking materials
- Alcoholic beverages
- Sharp objects (including knitting needles)
- Cord or string longer than 6 inches
- Electrical appliances
- Shaving materials
- Plastic wrap and bags
- Video tapes, audio tapes and CDs
- Clothing in excess of three sets
During Your Visit On The Shepardson Unit
- For your convenience, there are public bathrooms and electrical outlets for charging electronics just off the Shepardson unit.
- Food and drink are available in one of our cafeterias 22 hours a day. Visit our Dining & Menus page.
We try to accommodate the family and guests on the unit according to the needs and preferences of the patient. This may include allowing one adult at the bedside over night when possible. We will work with you and see what arrangements can be made.
Children are welcome to visit. For safety, children are required to be supervised by an adult other than the patient. We ask that children visit with their loved one in the patient room. We are not able to safely accommodate children sleeping overnight.
We are committed to providing a quiet and supportive environment for our patients. There may be times when you are asked to leave the unit.
If you would like assistance finding a place to stay close by, please ask to speak with a social worker to discuss options. You may also refer to our Hotels & Lodging page.
- Internet and Telephone - We offer a free guest wireless network for our patients and families. Call 802-847-1414 from your phone for assistance or visit our wifi page.
- Parking - Patient and visitor parking is in the underground parking garage found near the main entrance. Learn more about parking. Valet parking is based at the main entrance.
- Transportation - The College Street shuttle is a FREE bus service that stops at the hospital every 15 minutes during the day. The shuttle runs on a loop from the front of the hospital to downtown and back.
- Patients & Visitors Information