Oncology Rehabilitation – Steps to Wellness
62 Tilley Drive
South Burlington, VT 05403
is Steps to Wellness?
Steps to Wellness (STW) is a 12 week supervised group exercise program for cancer survivors, during which there are also educational opportunities provided for lifestyle management. The program is open to all survivors, regardless of their type of cancer or time since diagnosis. The supervised gym program is offered free of charge, thanks to the Victoria Buffum Endowed Fund at the UVM Cancer Center, Jane S. Lande and the Larner College of Medicine at UVM Marathon Team, as well as ongoing philanthropic support from members of the community.
Download the Steps to Wellness brochure
Virtual Group Exercise: Meeting the Needs of Survivors During a Pandemic
Learn about Steps to Wellness, the UVM Cancer Center’s free 12-week Oncology/Hematology Rehabilitation Program, and how we support and empower cancer survivors through a proven and structured group approach to exercise. Explore the transition strategies implemented during the COVID-19 pandemic from in-person exercise training to virtual (remote) group exercise, that have allowed many survivors to stay active and healthy during an unpredictable time.
How to Get Started
Your oncology provider or primary care physician may refer you to the program, or you may contact the program
If you are not ready to begin the supervised Steps to Wellness exercise program due to pain, balance, deconditioning/fatigue, lymphedema, or orthopedic issues, you may be referred to one on one skilled physical therapy in order to address these needs. Once improvements are made in these areas, your physical therapist may transition you back to the supervised Steps to Wellness exercise program.
Exercise Program for Cancer Survivors
The program takes place at 62 Tilley Drive, South Burlington VT, 05403.
What to Bring to the Exercise Program
The facilities have private locker rooms with changing areas and showers.
- Loose, Comfortable Clothing
- Water Bottle
- A Smile and Upbeat Attitude!
For additional questions or to schedule an appointment-
Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00am – 4:30pm Phone: 802-847-9852
Below you can find links and resources for cancer education and support.
- Cancer Support Groups
- Patient Financial Assistance Program
Graduateof Steps to Wellness Program information
- Integrative Therapies
- University of Vermont Cancer Center - Providing comprehensive care, research, prevention, and patient support.
- Larner College of Medicine at UVM - Vermont's premier public university nationally acclaimed for excellence in medicine.
- Cancer Patient Support Program of Vermont - A nonprofit organization that offers free comprehensive support services to cancer patients.
- LIVESTRONG.ORG - The Lance Armstrong Foundation provides unity, support, and education for those whose lives are affected by cancer.