111 Colchester Avenue
Main Campus, Main Pavilion, Level 5
Burlington, VT 05401-1473
What To Do and What To Expect After Varicose Vein Surgery
It is essential on the day of varicose vein surgery, to maintain a moderate level of leg muscle activity by walking for a minimum of 2-3 minutes every half an hour.
- Maintain until bedtime.
- Resume normal activity the following morning.
Heavy activities that involve sweating should not be resumed until 48-72 hours post-surgery. Examples of these types of activities: aerobics, hiking, gardening, farming.
Leave all dressing intact for two days following surgery.
Keep your incision dry. Showering should be done with a plastic bag over your dressing to protect your leg from getting wet.
Steri-strips should stay on until they start to peel off. Band-aids may be changed if they become stained.
Tenderness and bruising along the incisions is normal.
Call Your Doctor If You Experience Any Of The Following Symptoms
- Signs of infection: fever, redness, or warmth along the treated segment
- Moderate or severe pain that prevents return to normal activity
- Shortness of breath
- Persistent swelling of the treated limb
- Continued bleeding 48-hours postoperatively