Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgery
354 Mountain View Drive
Colchester, VT 05446-5923
After losing weight or giving birth, it's normal for your stomach to sag. You may decide that you want your natural shape and appearance back. Our plastic surgeons can remove the hanging skin and excess fat and tighten the muscles of your stomach with a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).
Our surgeons have years of experience performing this procedure, resulting in successful outcomes for our patients. Our patients are back on their feet the same day of the procedure and return to normal daily activities quickly.
Tummy Tuck Surgery: Our Approach
We want you to be happy with the appearance of your stomach after this outpatient procedure.
- Realistic expectations: We listen to you, learn what you want from a tummy tuck and help you understand how the procedure will improve your appearance.
- Accredited surgical facilities: We use only surgical facilities that are fully accredited by the University of Vermont. Our facilities are safe, well-equipped and comfortable.
- Expertise and judgment: Our team of plastic surgeons has more than 50 years of experience. This extensive experience allows us to help you decide if an abdominoplasty is the right procedure for you.
- Experienced plastic surgeons: All our doctors are fully qualified plastic surgeons with specific training in this procedure. Not every doctor who offers cosmetic procedures is trained in plastic surgery. At our center, you receive care from the most qualified doctors in our region who ensure a safe, effective procedure.
What is a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck is an elective surgical procedure to improve the appearance of your stomach.
- Remove fat and skin: Our plastic surgeons will remove excess fat and skin from your stomach.
- Minimal visible scarring: You don't need to worry about scars, because we make incisions in areas that will not be seen after surgery, such as along the groin (“underwear line”).
- Flatten abdominal wall: If your abdominal muscles have separated, we will suture (stitch) them back together. This makes your stomach flatter and tighter.
- Same day discharge: Most patients return home following the procedure and can walk around their block the same day.
- Quick return to normal activities: You will wear an abdominal binder, a girdle-like garment, for up to 4 weeks after surgery. You can shower within 72 hours and return to non-physical work in 7 to 10 days.
What a Tummy Tuck Can Improve
You may seek a tummy tuck for:
- Postpartum abdominal changes: After you give birth, you may have excess skin and fat on your stomach even after you have returned to your normal weight.
- Loose or baggy abdominal skin: If you lose weight quickly, your skin may not shrink at the same rate as you lose weight. This skin can hang down and appear loose.
- Stretch marks: If you gain weight quickly or your abdomen expands during pregnancy, your skin may stretch. When you lose the weight or give birth, you may have stretch marks.
- Loose abdominal wall: Sometimes the muscles of your stomach can separate. This happens most commonly during pregnancy.
Preparing for Your Tummy Tuck Procedure
Your surgeon will review any specific preparations you need to make. Because this is a surgical procedure, you will be under general anesthetic or intravenous (IV) sedation. You will not feel any pain during the procedure.
- Medical history: Make sure you tell your surgeon about all the medications you take, any conditions you are being treated for and any surgeries you have had.
- No food or drinks: You will need to avoid eating and drinking the night before your operation. Your surgeon will give you detailed instructions about when to stop eating
- Transportation: Arrange for a friend or family member to bring you to our facility and take you home.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can make recovery times longer and lead to poorer outcomes. Read more about our smoking cessation program.
We offer a range of procedures that can help you look your best. Learn more about our cosmetic surgery options.
- Mommy makeover: This combination of cosmetic procedures helps women regain the stomachs and breasts they want after pregnancy. Read about our mommy makeovers.
- Eye-lift (blepharoplasty): We can make your eyes look more rested and remove hanging skin with an outpatient eye-lift.
- Face-lift (rhytidectomy): During this surgical procedure we lift up the skin of your face to tighten and smooth the muscles and tissues beneath. Learn more about face-lifts.
Please note: Some of the doctors and specialists listed below may not treat this specific condition.