Move to Lose Program
The Move to Lose program is a medically managed weight loss program that combines a 16-week support group with a physical activity program for weight loss success.
Medical weight loss is best achieved through changing dietary and exercise behavior patterns. In this program, medically trained staff help participants build new skills and strategies for improving nutrition, losing weight and increasing exercise. The program is designed for people with following medical conditions:
- High blood pressure
- Diabetes mellitus or pre-diabetes
- High cholesterol/high triglycerides
- Lower body arthritis
- Sleep apnea
- Metabolic syndrome
- Insulin resistance
- Fatty liver disease
Features of the Move to Lose Program
- Initial evaluation by a cardiac rehab medical provider to establish individualized exercise and calorie goals
- Health-oriented approach to gradual weight loss— participants lose weight by developing healthy eating and exercise habits
- Weekly support meetings— lecture and discussion format with a registered dietitian
- Four-month membership to our exercise facility including a startup visit with an exercise specialist
- Maintenance plan available after program completion
Good Reasons to Join the Program
Over 60% of adults living in the United States are overweight, causing heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. Losing as little as 5-10% of body weight can have positive effects on the heart and overall health, including:
- Lowering blood pressure
- Reducing the risk of developing diabetes
- Improving cholesterol profiles
- Reducing the need for medication
- Increased movement and flexibility
The average weight loss in the Move to Lose four-month program is 15 pounds.
How It Works
The 16-week program meets once a week with a registered dietician; gym is open Monday-Friday (participants can use facility up to five times/week)
First, you will be scheduled for a consultation with one of our Cardiac Rehab providers to determine your personal risk factors, fitness level and goals for the program. Then you will meet with one of our case managers (an exercise physiologist, physical therapist or nurse) in the gym to orient you to your medically designed exercise program and proper use of the equipment. Participants are also counseled on how to maximize their exercise program for maximum caloric expenditure (burning calories). Research shows that a continued exercise program is the key to losing weight and keeping it off.
This portion of the program is a series of weekly sessions led by a registered dietitian, Cathy McIsaac MS, RD, who is trained in behavioral weight loss management. The class meets each Thursday night from 4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.. A variety of topics are covered, including:
- Nutrition for today's health
- Eating patterns
- Eating triggers
- Eating environment
- Exercise journaling
Sign-up Process and Cost
Please give the office a call at 802-847-4514 to find out when the next Move to Lose session begins and to get scheduled for your initial consultation and initial exercise session. Projected start dates for 2023 are in February, June and October.
- Non-UVM Medical Center employees: $300
- UVM Medical Center employees: $225.
Move to Lose Sessions: Thursdays 4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Gym hours: Monday - Friday 7 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
Projected start dates for 2023: February, June and October