William E. Hopkins, MD
- Cardiovascular Disease
Cardiology - Tilley Drive
62 Tilley Drive
South Burlington, VT 05403-4407
Cardiology - Main Campus
111 Colchester Avenue
Main Campus, McClure, Level 1
Burlington, VT 05401-1473
214 Cornelia Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901-2332
Dr. William Hopkins is a cardiologist and director of the adult congenital heart disease and pulmonary hypertension program at the University of Vermont Medical Center. He is also an associate professor at the Larner College of Medicine at UVM in Burlington, VT. His specialties include treating patients with adult congenital heart disease, pulmonary hypertension, valvular heart disease, genetic heart disease and adults with Down syndrome.
Dr. Hopkins’ research interest lies in vascular protection in adults with Down syndrome.
His passion for science—coupled with his love for helping people—attracted him to medicine. The most rewarding parts of his career are helping patients with a complex problems feel better, and teaching young people (students, interns, residents, and cardiology fellows) about the heart.
He strives to educate patients and their families so that they can be part of the team that manages their problem. He believes that physicians shouldn’t be dictating to patients but should be working with them to find the best possible solution for their problem.
He is most proud of the life-saving diagnoses he’s made and the awards he’s won for his teaching.
Learn more about cardiology at the University of Vermont Medical Center.
- Member Board
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Adult Congenital Heart DiseaseAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - Cardiovascular DiseaseAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - Internal Medicine
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.