Dr. Timothy Whitman is an infectious disease physician at the University of Vermont Medical Center and associate professor at the Larner College of Medicine at UVM in Burlington, VT. Dr. Whitman works with multidisciplinary teams in caring for patients with a wide variety of infectious diseases in the inpatient and outpatient setting.
He specializes in HIV, healthcare-acquired infections, fever in the traveler, osteomyelitis (inflammation of the bone), prosthetic joint infections, and endocarditis, infection of the inner lining of the heart. His research includes skin and soft tissue infection prevention, HIV natural history, and tropical diseases.
He is most proud of his 21 years of service in the Navy as an infectious diseases physician prior to joining the UVM Medical Center. Caring for both active duty service members and veterans was a great learning experience and gratifying for him.
He enjoys working with students, residents and fellows in the inpatient setting while caring for the patients on infectious diseases consult teams. He also enjoys working with a wide variety of providers in our outpatient clinic caring for our patients long term.
Learn more about infectious disease and travel medicine at the UVM Medical Center.
- Member Board
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Infectious DiseaseAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - Internal Medicine
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.