A family medicine physician at Colchester Family Practice since 1990, Dr. Peterson is the current family medicine chair at the College of Medicine and a health care service leader at The University of Vermont Medical Center.
Specializing in family medicine with sub-interests in geriatrics, children’s care, and sports medicine, Dr. Peterson manages general health conditions for all ages. Some of these conditions include diabetes, COPD, asthma, arthritis, acute respiratory illnesses and musculoskeletal injuries and conditions. Dr. Peterson also performs many common procedures including joint and soft tissue injections, and skin lesion biopsies.
Dr. Peterson considers his patients and his families as whole entities, looking at the many things that affect their lives as a whole. He builds trusting relationships with his patients in order to become their long-term health advocate.
Dr. Peterson is professor of Family Medicine at the Larner College of Medicine at UVM. He has received the Family Physician of the Year Award from the Vermont Academy of Family Practice.
Previous National Appointments include President of the Vermont Academy of Family Physicians, Delegate/Alternate Delegate to the American Academy of Family Physicians, Chair AAFP Bylaws Committee and Family Medicine Residency Director.
- Member Board
- American Board of Family Medicine - Family Medicine
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.