Hematology and Oncology - UVMMC Main Campus
111 Colchester Avenue
Main Campus, Main Pavilion, Level 2
Burlington, VT 05401-1473
Dr. Shahid Ahmed is an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Department of Hematology and Oncology at the University of Vermont, Larner College of Medicine. He is also an academic Medical Oncologist at the University of Vermont Medical Center and specializes in genitourinary cancers and skin cancers.
He is first and foremost a clinician and values his patients and learning what is important to them in life. He takes the time to educate his patients by breaking down concepts so they have a concrete understanding of their health. Navigating their disease and the health care system can often be challenging and Dr. Ahmed strives to be an advocate for them throughout this journey.
Dr. Ahmed also loves teaching medical students and mentoring trainees. He is passionate about doing research focused on immunotherapies and cancer metabolism. He has designed clinical trials and has attended the prestigious Vail workshop, that is a rite of passage for budding clinical scientists. In 2018, Dr. Ahmed was the recipient of the George and Sarah Jane Fisher Young Investigator Award. The George and Sarah Jane Fisher Young Investigator Award honors oncology fellows and faculty members who have made significant contributions to clinical or basic science research, by providing support for research conducted in cooperation with Hoosier Cancer Research Network. Read about Dr. Ahmed’s oncology research as a third-year hematology/oncology fellow at HoosierCancer.org
Learn more about the Hematology and Oncology at the University of Vermont Medical Center.
- Member Board
- American Board of Internal Medicine - HematologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - Medical OncologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - Internal Medicine
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.