Orthopedics and Rehabilitation Center - Spine Program
192 Tilley Drive
Spine Institute of New England
South Burlington, VT 05403-4440
Dr. Robert Monsey joined the Spine Program at the Orthopedics and Rehabilitation Center as an orthopedic surgeon in 1992. He serves as medical director at the Spine Institute of New England and as an associate professor in the Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation at the Larner College of Medicine at UVM in Burlington, VT.
His specialty is in patients with idiopathic and degenerative scoliosis, spinal stenosis, cervical myelopathy, degenerative disease and spinal tumors. Treatment options include spinal decompression, fusion and instrumentation.
Dr. Monsey believes that every patient’s condition is unique and it is his role to act as a guide to help patients select the best treatment options for their lifestyles.
He is actively involved in laboratory and clinical research, with a focus on the mechanobiology of degenerative disease.
Dr. Monsey received the Excellence in Teaching Award in the Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation at the University of Vermont in 1995, 1998 and 2003.
Learn more about the Orthopedic Specialty Center at The University of Vermont Medical Center.
- Member Board
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery - Orthopaedic Surgery
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.