Dr. Peter Matthias Bingham is a pediatric neurologist and divisionchief at The University of Vermont Medical Center and professor at the Larner College of Medicine. His focus is on optimizing the health andneurodevelopmental outcome in children and adolescents. He helps patientsacquire the skills and habits that promote self-management.
Dr. Bingham’s interest in neuro-rehabilitation began during hisfellowship in neuromuscular diseases with a Pearson Award from the Muscular DystrophyAssociation at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where he saw the healthimpacts of restrictive lung disease in patients who were paralyzed. Itcontinued in his research in behavioral neonatal neurology in Philadelphia andlater in Vermont, where he developed techniques for the assessment andpromotion of feeding skills in premature infants.
His specialties include digital game-based pulmonary rehabilitation,quality improvement research (headache, stroke referral, neuroradiologyreferral), qualitative research on specialty referral, medical narrative, andglobal neurology.
Dr. Bingham’s ongoing research in neuro-rehabilitation, work that hasled to three patents in this field, has been supported by the NationalInstitutes of Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. He co-edits “ThePediatric Five Minute Consult”, is on the editorial board of "Games forHealth Journal," and serves on the steering committee for the VermontOxford Network Neonatal Encephalopathy Registry.
In addition to directing the Pediatric Neurology Division in theDepartment of Neurosciences at UVM, Dr. Bingham chairs Departmental Committees:Credentials, Clinical Competency, Quality Assurance, and Ongoing ProfessionalPractice Evaluation. Ongoing cross-disciplinary quality improvement workincludes a project to improve the process of referral of infants forneuroradiological studies.
Learn more about Pediatric Neurology at the UVM Medical Center.
View Dr. Bingham's research publications.
- Member Board
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - Neurology with Special Qualifications in Child Neurol
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.