Dr. Peter VanBuren is a board-certified heart failure specialist at UVM Health Center in Burlington, VT. He also specializes in the areas echocardiography and nuclear cardiology. Dr. Van Buren joined the team in 1996, with a joint academic appointment at the University of Vermont. He is a tenured associate professor at the Larner College of Medicine at UVM.
Dr. VanBuren’s research interests are focused on the fundamental mechanisms of cardiac contractile function. He followed his father, who practiced internal medicine in Burlington for nearly 30 years, into the medical profession.
Dr. VanBuren is an integral part of the heart failure team at the UVM Medical Center. The Heart Failure Service’s focus is to provide proactive management of patients diagnosed with heart failure, with the understanding that patient education, multidisciplinary communication among providers and close follow-up are the cornerstones of excellent care.
Learn more about cardiology.
- Member Board
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant CardiologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - Cardiovascular Disease
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.