Nathaniel J. Nelms, MD
- Orthopaedic Surgery
Orthopedics and Rehabilitation Center
192 Tilley Drive
South Burlington, VT 05403-4440
Dr. Nathan Nelms joined The University of Vermont Medical Center as an orthopedic surgeon in 2012. He is also an assistant professor in the Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation at the Larner College of Medicine at UVM.
Dr. Nelms' area of expertise includes hip and knee arthritis, avascular necrosis and hip and knee joint replacement. He performs total hip arthroplasty (direct anterior approach), total and partial knee arthroplasty, total hip and knee revision and knee arthroscopy.
He specializes in the treatment of hip and knee osteoarthritis, post-traumatic hip and knee arthritis, osteonecrosis, meniscus tears and failed hip and knee replacements.
For more information about his research and academic interests, view Dr. Nelms' bio at the Larner College of Medicine at UVM.
- Member Board
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery - Orthopaedic Surgery
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.