Michael Hehir, MD is a neuromuscular neurologist at the University of Vermont Medical Center, where he serves as division chief of neuromuscular medicine and the program director of the Neuromuscular Medicine Training Fellowship. He is also an associate professor of neurological sciences at the Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont.
Dr. Hehir and his team work to identify a correct diagnosis for each patient in order to design individualized treatment plans that limit symptoms and side effects, with the ultimate goal of helping patients maximize their quality of life. In his work, he strives to provide excellent, evidence-based care to patients in our region; build long-term relationships with patients and their families / caregivers; educate students, physicians and other healthcare providers about neuromuscular medicine; and advance the field of neuromuscular neurology through clinical and translational research.
Dr. Hehir specializes in treating myasthenia gravis and other neuromuscular junction disorders; muscular dystrophy; inflammatory myopathy; and peripheral neuropathy. He performs a variety of specialized procedures, including electromyography / nerve conduction studies (EMG / NCS), single fiber EMG and skin biopsy for small fiber neuropathy.
Dr. Hehir values the opportunity to advance the understanding of neuromuscular disorders and improve treatment for patients. As a researcher, his goal is to improve the delivery of care to neuromuscular patients in an effort to enhance overall quality of life for both patients and caregivers. His research interests include measuring the side effect burden of treatments for patients with neurological conditions; remote monitoring of patients with myasthenia gravis; evaluating novel treatments for patients with myasthenia gravis and other neuromuscular disorders; disease specific outcome metric design and implementation; and disease specific outcome metric design and implementation. His published research can be found here.
In addition to his work at the UVM Medical Center, Dr. Hehir serves in leadership roles through the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America, American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine, and the Muscle Study Group. While always learning, he also enjoys teaching and mentoring students, residents, fellows and colleagues.
Outside of medicine, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters, as well as exploring the outdoors, playing tennis, cooking and traveling.
- Member Board
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - NeurologyAmerican Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - Neuromuscular Medicine
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.