Matthew J. Alef, MD
- Vascular Surgery
111 Colchester Avenue
Main Campus, Main Pavilion, Level 5
Burlington, VT 05401-1473
UVMMC CVMC Expresscare
1311 Barre-Montpelier Road
Berlin, VT 05602
Dr. Alef is a vascular surgeon at the University of Vermont Medical Center and an assistant professor at the Larner College of Medicine at UVM in Burlington, VT. Dr. Alef also serves as the Director of the David Pilcher Vascular Lab.
Dr. Matthew Alef joined the vascular surgery team at The University of Vermont Medical Center in August of 2014, after the completion of his training in vascular surgery at the Beth Israel-Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, MA.
His area of expertise includes multi-modal limb salvage utilizing angioplasty, stent and bypass techniques, treatment of carotid disease via minimally invasive stenting, percutaneous aorta aneurysm repair and complex aneurysm repair with a Fenestrated technique.
He has an interest in ice climbing and endurance events and is fully engaged in the fitness community.
- Member Board
- American Board of Surgery - General SurgeryAmerican Board of Surgery - Vascular Surgery
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.