Dr. Laura McCray is a family medicine doctor and director of the family medicine residency program at The University of Vermont Medical Center, and associate professor at the UVM College of Medicine. She specializes in mental health in primary care treating patients with depression and anxiety and working with geriatrics and end of life care. She also works in musculoskeletal (bone, joint and muscle disorders) medicine and women’s health.
Dr. McCray’s research interests include physician wellness and burnout prevention, quality improvement and transitions of care.
Dr. McCray comes from a family of physicians and loves the notion of bringing together her strengths in the field of science and applying it in her patient care. She chose family medicine because she wanted to take care of patients of all ages and entire families. She believes it is not enough to know the latest studies and best treatments for certain conditions but you also have to understand what's happening in the patient’s life outside of the exam room.
She loves taking care of patients and enjoys teaching the next generation of family physicians. She believes we need excellent primary care doctors serving Vermont and our country and is proud to be a part of training the primary care work force.
Learn more about family medicine at the UVM Medical Center.
- Member Board
- American Board of Family Medicine - Family Medicine
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.