Hematology and Oncology - UVMMC Main Campus
111 Colchester Avenue
Main Campus, Main Pavilion, Level 2
Burlington, VT 05401-1473
James N. Gerson, MD is a hematologist-oncologist and the director of CART services at the UVM Medical Center, as well as an assistant professor at the Larner College of Medicine. He specializes in the treatment of lymphoma leukemia and multiple myeloma.
Dr. Gerson also manages a variety of other conditions, including non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma, acute and chronic leukemias, and hematologic cancer, and performs specialized procedures such as bone marrow biopsies.
Dr. Gerson is at the forefront of CART-cell therapy, having helped to introduce the treatment to clinical practice, and has found this involvement in such a rapidly changing field both exhilarating and rewarding. His published research on the subject can be found here.
Dr. Gerson knows that his patients come to him at a time of uncertainty and fear after a diagnosis of cancer. His focus is on helping them navigate their diagnosis and find hope through discussing treatment options and, in many cases, the chance of a cure. He strives to integrate new technologies with each patient’s personal goals and values, to give them the best chance for a good outcome.
Learn more about hematology and oncology at the UVM Medical Center.
- Member Board
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Medical OncologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - HematologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - Internal Medicine
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.