James J. Murphy, MD
- Pediatric Surgery
111 Colchester Avenue
Main Campus, Specialty Center
Burlington, VT 05401-1473
Dr. James Murphy is a pediatric surgeon at the University of Vermont Children’s Hospital and associate professor at the Larner College of Medicine at UVM in Burlington, VT. He specializes in conditions such as liver disease (Biliary atresia), cancers such as neuroblastoma which is when cancer cells begin to grow out of control, and Wilms’ tumor, one of the most common types of kidney cancers in children. He also treats gastroschisis and omphalocele which are defects of the abdominal wall, as well as undescended testes, inguinal hernias, and hydroceles, a condition where the fluid sack in the testicles causes the groin area to swell.
Dr. Murphy’s research interests include pediatric surgical oncology, pediatric trauma, biomedical engineering, pediatric bowel obstruction, inflammatory bowel disease, outcomes research, quality improvement and surgical education.
As a father of four children, Dr. Murphy is honored to help sick children become well. He can empathize with the parent’s stress and anxiety about their sick child and therefore treats every child as if they were his own. He loves children and enjoys every aspect of their care, be it seeing them pre-operatively in surgical clinic or performing delicate surgical procedures to make them well. The most gratifying part of the job for him is seeing patients back in follow-up when they are well and fully recovered from their operation, knowing that they have a long and full life ahead of them.
Dr. Murphy also takes pride in training pediatric surgeons and educating medical students and surgery residents, all the while offering the highest quality surgical care to patients. He has published more than 60 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals. In many of those projects, he mentored students who have gone on to careers in academic medicine.
Learn more about the pediatric surgery program at the University of Vermont Medical Center.
- Member Board
- American Board of Surgery - Pediatric SurgeryRoyal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada - General Surgery
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.