Dr. Heather Finley is a counseling psychologist at the University of Vermont Medical Center and clinical assistant professor at the Larner College of Medicine at UVM. She worked at UVMMC’s Sleep Program for 10 years, where she developed the Sleep Well Program, implemented eHealth to provide easier access to people living farther away, and specialized in treating insomnia. As a member of the original team at UVMMC’s Comprehensive Pain Program, she was involved in co-creating an innovative program which uses a combination of integrative modalities designed to help people address complex chronic pain - along with the associated anxiety, depression, trauma, opioid use, and insomnia - so they can reclaim what is most important in their lives. She developed the curriculum for COMPASS Living, an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy-based group for people with chronic pain, which also includes Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy and mindfulness.
Dr. Finley’s clinical areas of focus include behavioral medicine, including chronic pain and insomnia, anxiety, group therapy, education and training, eHealth, clinical supervision, and optimal performance. She uses a combination of treatment approaches, including Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), positive psychology, mindfulness, clinical hypnosis, and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). She enjoys teaching and training, and has presented formally and informally at conferences; to residents, fellows, and colleagues at UVMMC; and for organizations throughout the community on topics such as insomnia, shift-work sleep disorder, adolescent and children’s sleep difficulties, mindfulness, and chronic pain.
Dr. Finley believes people she works with have expertise when it comes to their lives and the unique situation bringing them to treatment. She knows techniques and strategies proven to be most effective in treating conditions such as chronic pain, insomnia, anxiety, and depression as well as how to address common barriers to change. When she combines her expertise with that of her patients, the work becomes a healing collaboration. Depending on what is most helpful in facilitating change, Dr. Finley provides guidance, support, education, encouragement, and even accountability when needed. She is continually amazed by her patients’ strength and wisdom and, recognizing the courage they tap into when entrusting her with their care, is honored to be a part of their journey.
Learn more about psychological services and the Comprehensive Pain Program at the UVM Medical Center.
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.