Denis Dees is a mental health clinician and masters level counselor at the University of Vermont Medical Center. He specializes in substance use disorders, co-occurring mental health disorders, and helping patients cope with life circumstances without resorting to the use of mood altering substances.
To treat his patients, he uses procedures and therapies such as Cognitive Behavior Therapy, insight therapy, family systems, mindfulness training, progressive muscle relaxation, learning relaxation response, psychodynamic therapy, spirituality and mindfulness-based stress reduction, meditation, and education regarding addiction as a brain disease.
Denis began his career working with teenagers and young adults. Many of these individuals were treated with punishment or incarceration for mistakes that they had made. He found that approach seldom worked with improving the quality of one's life. He learned from his first clinical supervisor that if you could develop trust, treat people with respect and give encouragement, people would thrive. He has found that to be true.
What Denis finds most rewarding in his work is seeing people make choices that are life affirming, they develop self-respect and consideration for others.
Denis’ approach with patients is to recognize that there is much more right with people than there is wrong with them. Being strength based, patients learn to build on the skills that are already working for them, and include healthy supports to get them through the rough spots in life.
Learn more about mental health and substance abuse at the UVM Medical Center.
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.