Charles Ashley, MD is an oncologist at the University of Vermont Medical Center and assistant professor of gynecologic oncology at the Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont.
Dr. Ashley treats a variety of conditions, including endometrial cancer, ovarian cancer, cervical cancer, vulvar cancer and vaginal cancer. He specializes in primary interval and secondary surgical debulking of advanced ovarian cancer, minimally invasive gynecologic surgery (robotic and laparoscopic procedures), and fertility preserving surgery for gynecologic cancers. His research interests include gynecologic cancer genetics, “liquid biopsies” in gynecologic cancer, cell-free circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) and clinical trials in gynecologic oncology.
As a native-born Vermonter, Dr. Ashley is passionate about providing the highest quality of care for gynecologic cancer right here in the Green Mountain State. The strength of patients in the face of medical adversity inspired him to become a physician, and continues to inspire his treatment of women with gynecologic cancer. Unlike any other surgical subspeciality, Gynecologic Oncology allows him the opportunity to develop long term relationships with his patients as he guides them through their treatment, from the time of their diagnosis through surgery, chemotherapy and long-term follow-up. It is these relationships that motivate him to find ways to improve the quality of care provided to patients, both in the clinic or operating room and through research.
Dr. Ashley strives to make sure his patients feel that their concerns are being listened to and addressed. His philosophy is that the treatment of gynecologic cancer is not "one-size fits all,” and he sees it as his role to help people understand their diagnoses, listen to their desires and goals, and provide them with options so that, together, they can identify the best treatment plan.
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.