Dr. Amelia Gennari, has been a practicing geriatrician for over 20 years in both ambulatory care (primary care and consults) and in the hospital setting. She joins the University of Vermont Medical Center as the Associate Chief for Clinical Affairs for the Division of Geriatrics. She has extensive experience caring for very complex and frail patients who are on multiple medications and have many medical problems often complicated by memory loss and/or depression.
Dr. Gennari has always enjoyed interacting with older individuals, even before she started her career. Taking care of complex problems and spending a lot of time with patients and their families/caregivers are some of the most rewarding aspects of being a geriatrician. Her care philosophy is centered on maintaining function and quality of life. If needed, she also has experience in palliative care and leading difficult conversations. Dr. Gennari’s hope is that, for each and every patient, she can understand her patients' goals and try to address the issues that are most important to them.
Dr. Gennari’s research in improving processes for the delivery of quality care to vulnerable elderly in all settings (inpatient, outpatient and nursing home care) reinforce her patient care practices.
Read more about the Adult Primary Care services at the UVM Medical Center.
- Member Board
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Geriatric Medicine
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.