Ahmed Harhash, MD, is an advanced heart failure and transplant cardiologist for the University of Vermont Medical Center in Burlington. He specializes in advanced heart failure and cardiac transplant, cardiac critical care, mechanical circulatory support, implantable hemodynamic monitoring, right heart catheterization, exercise hemodynamic studies, coronary angiography, and echocardiography.
Dr. Harhash hopes to tailor treatment plans for individual patients, understand their goals, and help achieve them despite having severe heart condition. He says he is fortunate to have a long-term relationship with many of his patients for better understanding of potential barriers to optimal health and use the resources offered at the UVM towards overcoming such barriers.
As a child, Dr. Harhash was fascinated by engines, and was most amazed by the most efficient engine known to man, the heart. This childhood fascination led him to pursuing a career as a heart failure specialist. He finds it extremely rewarding to practice what he loves, while helping his patients feel better and live longer.
Dr. Harhash is also assistant professor of medicine of cardiology for the Larner College of Medicine at UVM. His research interests include cardiac arrest, post resuscitation care, cardiogenic shock, and platelet dysfunction related to mechanical assist devices.
Read about Cardiology at the UVM Medical Center.
- Member Board
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Internal MedicineNational Board of Echocardiography - EchocardiographyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - Cardiovascular DiseaseAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Evernorth (formerly Cigna Behavioral Health)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- POMCO (must include POMCO Select Logo)
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health) – Commercial Plans including UMR end 12/31/23 | Frequently asked questions
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.