The University of Vermont offers the opportunity for excellent education in all clinical and research aspects of Reproductive Endocrinology. This program provides experiences in reproductive surgery, assisted reproductive technologies, and the management of infertility, reproductive endocrinology, medical endocrinology, and pediatric endocrinology. Fellows develop expertise in clinical and basic science research. Working in the academic medical center, the fellow develops skills in the education of residents and medical students that will prepare him/her for a career in academic medicine.
Description of Goals
This three-year fellowship is designed to afford fellows an opportunity to:
- Capitalize on clinical skills acquired during recently completed residencies to develop clinical expertise in evaluation and treatment of reproductive endocrine and fertility disorders. (Year 1)
- Acquire first-hand experience in designing and conducting clinical research. (Years 1 and 2)
- Acquire first-hand experience in designing and conducting basic research. (Years 2 and 3)
- Learn and direct advanced techniques in assisted reproductive therapies. (Year 3)
- Clinic - 2,000 square feet, with two nursing offices; one for general clinical, and one for IVF and research functions. Three M.D. provider offices shared by all M.D. staff. One clinical laboratory, three patient conference rooms, six examination/treatment rooms, and two examination/ultrasound rooms. The clinic is staffed by seven nurses specializing in infertility services. The division of reproductive endocrinology also includes a full-time IVF nurse coordinator, part-time donor oocyte coordinator, clinical research coordinator, psychologist specializing in women's health, and an andrology laboratory specialist who work closely with the fellows and faculty. An academic secretary works with the fellows and faculty.
- In-vitro Fertilization- The IVF Laboratory is located in the Ambulatory Care Center on the Medical center campus of UVM Medical Center. The laboratory includes an area for cryopreservation and intracytoplasmic sperm injection and growth of the current IVF laboratory to accommodate the expanding IVF and donor oocyte program. The laboratory is adjacent to the oocyte retrieval/embryo transfer area. All IVF activities, including media preparation, oocyte assessment, sperm preparation, fertilization, cryopreservation, and ICSI, are performed in the IVF laboratory.
- Clinical Research Center - There is a twelve-bed General Clinical Research Center (GCRC) at the Medical Center campus of UVM Medical Center. The Division of Reproductive Endocrinology has frequently utilized this facility to conduct clinical research. Space and financial resources are available for appropriate projects.
- Academic Offices - The Divisional Faculty and fellows have offices located in the Smith wing of the Medical Center.
- Laboratory - There is 3,400 square feet of research space within the department. All of the research space is available for faculty and fellows to utilize as appropriate.
Elizabeth McGee, MD
See the Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility Fellowship Program Application Requirements.