Residency applications for the University of Vermont General Surgery Residency Program at UVM Medical Center are submitted via Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
The Surgery Residency Program at UVM Medical Center participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
The basic components of your application (the common application form, transcripts) must be received by the middle of October. Your file should include your curriculum vitae, personal statement, Dean's letter, and three letters from clinical instructors who know you well. At least one of the latter should have worked with you on an inpatient rotation.
Successful completion of the ECFMG, including the Clinical Skills Exam is required prior to the start of the Surgery Residency. We prefer the results of these exams are available as part of the ERAS application prior to the ranking process (in late January). You may be invited for an interview prior to our receiving all of your letters of recommendation, but we will need to have all letters before entering any applicant into the match. Your application will not be able to be considered unless you are able to fulfill all of the criteria.
Materials required from all applicants:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- Dean's Letter
- A minimum of three (3) recent letters of reference from U.S. or Canadian surgeons
- Successful completion of Step 1 and Step 2 CS and CK of the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE)
International applicants must:
- have a J-1 Visa or have a U.S. citizen Permanent Resident status. No other Visas will be accepted. (H1B are not acceptable.)
- have graduated from medical school within the last two years
- have a current certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- successfully completed the Clinical Skills requirement
- have worked in clinical medicine in the United States within the last two years
NOTE: an observership or externship does not fulfill this requirement and the UVM Medical Center Graduate Medical Education Program does not accept either position
Applicant Interview Scheduling and Interview Day
Final selection for interview is made by the Residency Candidate Review Committee and invitations are sent to selected applicants via e-mail. Candidate interviews will be held via ZOOM during late October, November and December. Our interview day consists of a welcome and individual interviews with either the Program Director, the Associate Program Director along with other Department of Surgery faculty members from the University of Vermont Larner College of Medicine. Applicants will also meet with our current residents via a ZOOM meeting prior to our interview day.