Self-esteem is the core belief people have about themselves. Your self-esteem is reflected in your actions, both in how as well as what you do. Although self-esteem varies from time to time, the pattern usually leans toward a healthy or unhealthy view of self.
Building self-esteem is a lifelong process, but it can help you feel better about yourself and your life. Healthy self-esteem can help you work well with others, deal with difficulties, and have the confidence to try new things.
Here are some ways to build your self-esteem. Start by picking something you'd like to try now. Later you can decide if you'd like to try other ways.
- Try to do things that keep you healthy, that show you respect yourself, and that give you pleasure.
- Eat a balanced diet, and be active.
- Wear clothing you like and feel good in.
- Make your room, apartment, or home special for you.
- Help someone or do a favor for somebody else.
- Take time to do something you enjoy.
- Spend time with people who like you and make you feel good about yourself.
- Write down positive affirmations.
A positive affirmation is something good you say about yourself. Some types of affirmations include:
- Things you've achieved in your life, such as getting a high school degree, paying off a debt, or learning a new skill.
- Your strengths, such as being loving, organized, or creative.
- Things you're proud of, such as your good relationship with your family, volunteer work you've done, or the home you've created.
- Things you do that make you feel good about yourself, such as working out, growing flowers, or going to church.
See if you can come up with at least five affirmations for each type. Make a list of your affirmations, and keep it where you can read it often. The more you read your affirmations, the better you will feel about yourself and your life.
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2022 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.