More than 65% of senior adults who come into the emergency room, are seen for injuries they sustained at home - usually due to a fall. Visit UVM Medical Center's Falls Prevention Program to find out how to avoid such injuries.
As vision and balance decline with age, the risk of falls increases for older people in the home. Help your family and friends stay healthy and happy in your home.
Visit www.ncs.org for more home safety tips.
Community Health Improvement has a Falls and Fires home safety program for seniors and young disabled. Evaluations are done by a nurse to identify risk and make recommendations for making the home safer. If eligible, some modifications may be covered by a grant. Call 802-847-2278 for more information.
Our grant-funded program provides funds for the income-eligible to build ramps to make homes more accessible. Volunteers are available for construction.
Matter of Balance Class
The Matter of Balance - falls prevention class is a free, 8 week evidence-based program conducted in weekly 2-hour sessions by trained leaders. The class is designed to reduce fear of falling and increase activity levels among older adults with concerns about falling.
- Fall prevention strategies and practical ways to reduce concerns about falling
- How to view falls and fear of falling as controllable
- Set realistic goals for increasing activity
- Simple exercises to increase balance and strength
For more information call 802-847-2278.
More Information on Falls and Fire Prevention
Community Health Improvement
128 Lakeside Avenue - Suite 106
Burlington, VT 05401
Email: christina [dot] keatinguvmhealth [dot] org
- Home Fire Prevention and Preparedness - National Safety Council - Download PDF
- Portable Generator Safety Tips - National Safety Council - Download PDF
- Preventing Slips and Falls at Home - National Safety Council - Download PDF