Quick Tips: 10 Things to Do if You Have COVID-19
- Stay home.
Don't go to school, work, or public areas. And don't use public transportation, ride-shares, or taxis unless you have no choice. Leave your home only if you need to get medical care. But call the doctor's office first so they know you're coming. And wear a cloth face cover.
- Ask before leaving isolation.
Talk with your doctor or other health professional about when it will be safe for you to leave isolation.
- Wear a cloth face cover when you are around other people.
It can help stop the spread of the virus when you cough or sneeze.
- Limit contact with people in your home.
If possible, stay in a separate bedroom and use a separate bathroom.
- Avoid contact with pets and other animals.
If you can, have a friend or family member care for them while you're sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
Then throw the tissue in the trash right away.
- Wash your hands often, especially after you cough or sneeze.
Use soap and water, and scrub for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water aren't available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don't share personal household items.
These include bedding, towels, cups and glasses, and eating utensils.
- Clean and disinfect your home every day.
Use household cleaners or disinfectant wipes or sprays. Take special care to clean things that you grab with your hands. These include doorknobs, remote controls, phones, and handles on your refrigerator and microwave. And don't forget countertops, tabletops, bathrooms, and computer keyboards.
- Take acetaminophen (Tylenol) to relieve fever and body aches.
Read and follow all instructions on the label.
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2021 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.