In response to the Coronavirus and COVID-19, the Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center is closed. If you need help finding patient health resources such as information on hospital or local resources or information on diseases and conditions please contact us via e-mail at FrymoyerResourceCenterUVMHealth [dot] org or leave a message on our phone at 802-847-8821 and we will respond to your request.
*The services below in BOLD are ones that we can still provide by phone, email, and mail.
If you are looking for Coronavirus or COVID-19 information please visit the UVM Health Network COVID-19 site.
Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center
The Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center is a community resource center providing answers to your health-related questions.
Through our extensive research library and community partnerships we are able to offer free, personalized assistance to help you find information about medical conditions, healthier lifestyle habits, and make informed healthcare decisions.
Located on Level 3 of the Main Pavilion at the University of Vermont Medical Center's Main Campus in Burlington, VT, the center is staffed with a Consumer Health Information Specialist for your convenience. You can read, browse, and search for health-related topics while you are here. Some of our services can even be accessed by phone and email.
Our services are free and open to the community and include the following:
- One-on-one instruction on how to use the internet to find health information.
- Consumer health lending library (View our catalog of materials).
- Access to UVM Dana Medical Library resources including electronic medical journals and reference books.
- The use of nine public computers.
- Copying and faxing of health-related materials.
- Information about local support groups and area health and human service agencies.
- Nutrition service debit cards are available for purchase in increments of $25, which can be used at any of The UVM Medical Center dining service locations.
- Vermont Advance Directives booklets are available.
- We have a video phone for deaf or hard-of-hearing visitors, patients, family members, and employees.
Recommended Websites & Resources
- Use MedlinePlus to
searchhealth topics to find information on drugs and supplements.
- View our list of recommended health information websites.
- View our Multi-Lingual Health Information resources.
- Visit Healthwise, our Health Library, for health-related topics.
- See all our Additional Resources
- Find health support groups in your area - it's a great way to learn more about medical issues and connect with local community members.
- Find cancer support groups
About the Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center
As a patient, Nan Frymoyer realized the power and value of education to healing and recovery. Her vision and mission
Please read our blog article, "Remembering Nan Frymoyer, A Tireless Advocate for Patient Education" for more information about her generous gift.
Kristine Buck, B.S. - Kristine majored in Community Health at the State University of New York at Potsdam. She is the Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center's Program Coordinator and has a Level 2 Consumer Health Information Specialist Certification through the Medical Library Association.
General Consumer Health Information
- Research Summaries for Consumers, Clinicians, and Policymakers, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - The Effective Health Care Program creates free research summaries about the benefits and risks of different treatments for different health conditions.
- MedlinePlus - The Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center recommends that patients start their search using the National Library of Medicine's MedlinePlus. Use MedlinePlus to find information on Drugs and Supplements or search Health topics. View interactive tutorials or surgery videos to learn more about your health.
- National Institute of Health
OTHER HELPFUL HEALTH RELATED WEBSITES
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Office of Dietary Supplements
- National Cancer Institute
- Consumer Health Information in Many Languages Resources
- MedlinePlus Guide to Healthy Web Surfing
- Nursing Home Abuse Center: LGBT Nursing Home Abuse Resources
Vermont and Northern NY Health Resources
- Community Health Improvement at UVM Medical Center:
- Use Vermont 2-1-1 to find human services organizations in your community or dial 2-1-1.
- Verrmont Support Groups - Locate health-related support groups or call 802-847-8821 for assistance.
- Vermont Department of Health
- Vermont Agencies on Aging
- Vermont Palliative and End-of-Life Care Resource Connections
Multi-Lingual Health Information Resources
- Vermont Refugee Health Program Interpreted Fact Sheets - Over 20 fact sheets on healthy living and specific diseases available in English, French, Russian, Serbo-Croation/Bosnian, and Vietnamese.
- Healthy Roads Media - This site contains free audio, written and multimedia health education materials in a number of languages. Produced by a consortium of Midwestern organizations.
- Foundation for Healthy Communities - A New Hampshire based organization which has medical forms and health information available in several languages.
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine: Consumer Health Information in Many Languages - Extensive listing of consumer health information available in languages other then English.