Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center
Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center offers free, personalized assistance to help you find information about medical conditions, healthier lifestyle habits, and make informed healthcare decisions.
The center is staffed with a Consumer Health Information Specialist for your convenience. You can connect by phone, email or by scheduling an in-person appointment. Services are free and available to the community and include the following:
- Access and recommendations to reliable and up-to-date health information.
- Access to UVM Dana Medical Library resources including free full-text electronic medical journals and reference books.
- Information about local support groups and area health and human service agencies.
- Vermont Advance Directives booklets for medical decision making.
- One-on-one instruction on how to use the internet to find health information (by appointment).
- Copying and faxing of health-related materials (by appointment).
Please note that we are unable to provide medical advice. Please consult your doctor if you have questions or concerns about a medical condition or diagnosis.
Recommended Websites & Resources
- Use MedlinePlus to search health topics to find information on drugs and supplements.
- Visit Healthwise, our Health Library, for health-related topics.
- Health Information in Multiple Languages from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities.
- Find health support groups in your area - it's a great way to learn more about medical issues and connect with local community members.
- Find cancer support groups.
About the Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center
As a patient, Nan Frymoyer realized the power and value of education to healing and recovery. Her vision and mission was to make this kind of information easily available to everyone in need and most particularly to patients and their families. As a result of the collaborative efforts of many people, the Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center was created to fulfill her vision.
Kristine Buck, B.S. - Kristine majored in Community Health at the State University of New York at Potsdam. She has a Level 2 Consumer Health Information Specialist Certification through the Medical Library Association.
General Consumer Health Information
- Research Summaries for Consumers, Clinicians, and Policymakers, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - The Effective Health Care Program creates free research summaries about the benefits and risks of different treatments for different health conditions.
- MedlinePlus - The Frymoyer Community Health Resource Center recommends that patients start their search using the National Library of Medicine's MedlinePlus. Use MedlinePlus to find information on Drugs and Supplements or search Health topics. View interactive tutorials or surgery videos to learn more about your health.
- National Institute of Health
OTHER HELPFUL HEALTH RELATED WEBSITES
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Office of Dietary Supplements
- National Cancer Institute
- Consumer Health Information in Many Languages Resources
- MedlinePlus Guide to Healthy Web Surfing
- Nursing Home Abuse Center: LGBT Nursing Home Abuse Resources
Vermont and Northern NY Health Resources
- Community Health Improvement at UVM Medical Center:
- Use Vermont 2-1-1 to find human services organizations in your community or dial 2-1-1.
- Verrmont Support Groups - Locate health-related support groups or call 802-847-8821 for assistance.
- Vermont Department of Health
- Vermont Agencies on Aging
- Vermont Palliative and End-of-Life Care Resource Connections
Multi-Lingual Health Information Resources
- Vermont Refugee Health Program Interpreted Fact Sheets - Over 20 fact sheets on healthy living and specific diseases available in English, French, Russian, Serbo-Croation/Bosnian, and Vietnamese.
- Healthy Roads Media - This site contains free audio, written and multimedia health education materials in a number of languages. Produced by a consortium of Midwestern organizations.
- Foundation for Healthy Communities - A New Hampshire based organization which has medical forms and health information available in several languages.
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine: Consumer Health Information in Many Languages - Extensive listing of consumer health information available in languages other then English.