Bonita Libman, MD, is the division chief of Rheumatology and program director of the rheumatology fellowship training program at the University of Vermont Medical Center.
Her patient care philosophy, called “Treat to Target,” involves carefully listening to each patient's story and understanding their general background and goals in order to develop an individualized management rheumatologic care plan. This philosophy also helps promote good communication so she can work as a team with her patients to help them manage their arthritis. Rheumatic diseases are generally chronic long-term conditions and Dr. Libman enjoys following her patients over the long run. In fact, she has been seeing some of her patients for over 25 years!
Dr. Libman also serves as a professor of medicine for the UVM Larner College of Medicine. She says. “I feel a great sense of achievement when I am able to graduate a new rheumatologist or educate non-rheumatology physicians so they can help patients with rheumatic diseases.” Among her clinical interests are clinical trials of novel biological drugs for autoimmune diseases. Read her work or view her full academic profile.
- Member Board
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
Participating Insurance Plans at the UVM Medical Center:
Please Note: The below is a list of insurers contracted with The University of Vermont Medical Center, but it does not guarantee participation of your specific insurance plan or coverage of your planned service (i.e. medical, dental, behavioral health, etc.). Please contact your insurer to determine your benefit coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield NH
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) / CBA (includes Dental)
- Capital District Physicians' Health Plan (CDPHP)
- Capital District Physicians' Healthcare Network (CDPHN)
- Cigna / Great West (includes Dental)
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Cigna LifeSource
- Coventry Health Care/First Health
- Delta Dental
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (HMO only)
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis (New York Quality Healthcare Corporation) (excludes Essential Plan and Exchange products)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (excludes United Behavioral Health, NH Health Benefit Exchange, Medicare Advantage, and Managed Medicaid)
- Medicaid (VT and NY)* (VT Medicaid includes Dental)
- Optum Rx
- St. Regis Mohawk Tribe (Medicare)
- The Vermont Health Plan (TVHP)
- TriCare Humana Military (excludes Humana Behavioral Health)
- TriCare Martin's Point Health Care (excludes Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare (excludes United Behavioral Health)
- United HealthCare – The Empire Plan
- Veteran's Administration Community Care Network (VA CCN) (United HealthCare)
- Vermont Blue Advantage
- Workers' Comp (VT and NY)
*Not every provider type is eligible to enroll with Government Payers. Please consult your provider’s office prior to visit for confirmation.