Support Integrative Therapies.
Your financial support will help The UVM Cancer Center to offer health and wellness-enhancing integrative therapies in conjunction with traditional cancer care for cancer patients and survivors in Vermont and upstate New York.
Integrative Therapies at the UVM Cancer Center
Cancer and its treatment often come with significant challenges that require additional support beyond traditional medical approaches. Integrative therapies at The UVM Cancer Center provides acupuncture, yoga, massage, mindfulness and other alternative therapies to cancer patients and survivors. These therapies have a proven track record for controlling pain, fatigue and other side effects while improving psychological outlook and quality of life.
Integrative Oncology: What You Need to Know
Integrative oncology refers to the use of complementary therapies in collaboration with conventional cancer treatment to enhance wellness, improve quality of life, and relieve symptoms and side effects of conventional treatments.
Download the description of services.
Integrative Therapies at the UVM Medical Center
Along with conventional cancer treatment, many cancer patients benefit from integrative medicine such as:
- Acupuncture uses thin needles placed at specific points and has been practiced in Asia for thousands of years. It is thought to stimulate the flow of a form of energy called qi (chee) throughout the body. Acupuncture is used to treat nausea/vomiting, pain, musculoskeletal discomfort, hot flashes, fatigue, stress, anxiety, and sleep disorders. You will need a physician referral to see an acupuncturist at the UVM Medical Center.
- Oncology Massage - In patients with cancer, the goal of massage is to address muscle stiffness and pain as well as promote relaxation. Massage therapists take precautions with all patients who have cancer and to avoid massaging vulnerable areas.
- Healing Touch is an energy therapy in which practitioners use their hands in a heart-centered and intentional way to enhance, support and facilitate the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health and self-healing. Healing Touch utilizes light or near-body touch to clear, balance and energizes the human energy system.
- Reiki - A healing technique based on the principle that the therapist can channel energy into the patient by means of touch, to activate the natural healing processes of the patient's body and restore physical and emotional well-being.
- Yoga is a mind-body practice with origins in ancient South Asian philosophy and practice. In patients with cancer, yoga is used for a variety of conditions including increasing range of motion, balance and strength and decreasing stress, anxiety, depression, and fatigue.
- Mindfulness and relaxation tools are known to reduce stress and anxiety, relieve symptoms and encourage wellbeing for patients, survivors and caregivers affected by cancer.
Download our Free Mindfulness Booklet (PDF) →
Services and Events
Dragon Boat Festival Partner
Thank you Dragonheart VT, for choosing Integrative Therapies at UVM Cancer Center as the 2018 Dragon Boat Festival Pledge Partner. Integrative Therapies at the UVM Cancer Center received $55,000 from this year's Festival; proceeds will pay for patients and families to receive yoga, acupuncture, massage and culinary medicine at the UVM Medical Center.www.ridethedragon.org.
For More Information
For questions or to find out more information, please contact us at 802-847-9935 or email us.