The UVM Medical Center: The Academic Advantage
- Two pediatricians creat a mobile app that allows someone without medical training to assess and treat an ill child — offering hope to people throughout the world with limited access to health care.
- A physician-in-training receives first-class medical education and invaluable mentoring, and goes on to lead a career saving countless lives as a trauma surgeon.
- A researcher develops a pioneering procedure that revolutionizes the treatment of many forms of cancer, thereby improving the quality of life for patients around the world.
A Special Partnership
Remarkable events like these occur every day at The University of Vermont Medical Center and the University of Vermont. Together, the UVM Medical Center, the University of Vermont College of Medicine and the College of Nursing and Health Sciences form Vermont's academic medical center.
Here, extraordinary people bring together health care, research and education in innovative ways that make a difference in people's lives. You are in skilled and caring hands, and are benefiting from the level of care that only a university hospital can provide.
About The University of Vermont Medical Group
The University of Vermont Medical Group consists of approximately 600 physicians who are jointly employed by the UVM Medical Center and the University of Vermont College of Medicine.
As members of the UVM Medical Group, our physicians stay abreast of the latest medical advancements by teaching the next generation of physicians and seeking new cures and treatments through research. With access to state-of-the-art technology, they provide patients with multidisciplinary care that allows for the best possible outcomes.
The UVM Medical Group at the UVM Medical Center offers you and your family some important advantages:
- Physician practice - The University of Vermont Medical Group includes physicians who not only practice medicine, but also serve as professors at the University of Vermont College of Medicine. Constant learning is a way of life for these professionals; they are clinician-teachers who have the most up-to-date knowledge and training and can provide you with the reliability high-quality care.
- Experience - Complex medical procedures are performed more often at university hospitals. Research has shown that more experience results in a greater level of safety and quality of care for you as a patient - so you and your family can feel confident knowing you've chosen an experienced health care provider.
- Discovery - Many of our professionals are also dedicated to seeking new cures and treatments through research. That knowledge is translated to patients and the community — providing you with the very best care based on the latest research.
- Technology - At the University of Vermont Medical Group, our physicians have access to cutting-edge technology. The latest technology, in the hands of experienced professionals, means the best possible care for you and your family.
Our Alliance with the University of Vermont
The University of Vermont and the UVM Medical Center are inextricably linked, serving as Vermont's only university medical center. Every day, in many ways, the alliance of the UVM Medical Center and the Larner College of Medicine at UVM and UVM College of Nursing and Health Sciences helps to improve our region's quality of life by:
- Providing patients with the latest innovations in medicine and health care
- Generating new knowledge about disease and wellness
- Educating the next generation of health care professionals and scientists
In addition, the UVM Medical Center and the University of Vermont function as a major driver for the economy of Vermont and northern New York.
The nation's university medical centers are the backbone of innovation in health care. Physicians, nurses, and other health professionals training at these centers work with the latest therapies, treatments, and techniques, and are taught by some of the world's leading experts in their fields.
Our faculty physicians provide patient care at the UVM Medical Center in addition to their roles as researchers and educators at the University of Vermont College of Medicine. Their medical research, in turn, ensures that patients at The UVM Medical Center benefit from breakthrough discoveries and clinical trials.
The College of Nursing and Health Sciences also partners with the UVM Medical Center to educate students in clinical areas that include laboratory science, nuclear medicine, and labor and delivery and to research issues such as worksite wellness and palliative care.
The alliance between the UVM Medical Center and the University of Vermont adds a unique factor to the health, character, and economic vitality of the state, bringing world-class research, education and care to Vermonters and their families
Watch a video about the history of the two institutions and the formation of our partnership.