Senior Media Relations and Communications Specialist, Shared Services
South Burlington, VT
|Location and Address||
Location Address: 725 Community Drive, South Burlington Vermont
|Building Name|| |
Building Name: UVMMC - 725 Community Drive
Comm & Engagement Strategies
|Schedule||Full Time / Regular|
Day (United States of America)
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
|Job Requisition ID||
The Senior Media Relations and Communications Specialist, Shared Services, is a seasoned strategist and narrative builder who works to protect reputation, create awareness and advance the value of the UVM Health Network with local, regional and national audiences. This individual is highly skilled in issues management and has a thorough understanding of how the media works, recognizing the dual need for proactive and reactive media contact along with outreach and placement strategies that do not depend on the media for the dissemination of our news. The Senior Media Relations and Communications Specialist, Shared Services, is the chief spokesperson for the UVM Health Network. This individual works in close partnership with senior leaders across the Network to coordinate on issues management strategies including messaging, preparation, and execution. Additionally, they will work across the media relations and communications disciplines to serve the UVM Health Network by proactively mining for stories of interest and impact, connecting the work to editorial integration strategies across relevant communication channels and work with leadership to assess media impact and reach. This individual also works collaboratively to build and grow social channels for media relations outreach and cultivation tools.
The Senior Media Relations and Communications Specialist, Shared Services, is able to execute on a vision and works in partnership to craft impactful communication that supports organizational needs. This individual contributes to the discipline of meaningful measurement to inform, evaluate and improve our work. Throughout this work, this individual executes on a vision and strives to constantly exceed expectations through innovation, high-quality service and a working environment that supports collaboration, meaningful measurement, ongoing learning and professional growth. This individual is committed to advancing a culture that is diverse, equitable and inclusive for our employees, our patients and their families, and the communities we serve.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, radio/television/multimedia or government relations preferred.
- At least eight to ten years of experience in public and media relations, communications or government/public relations, with at least three of those years in a crisis/issues management capacity.
- Proven expertise in strategy execution, communication planning and specifically skilled in issues management, calm under pressure with a demeanor that supports media management and serving as an on-camera media spokesperson.
- Proven track record of generating high-impact placements and/or a reporter’s understanding of what stories get traction.
- Entrepreneurial in nature and proactive, oriented to mining for stories on a range of subjects -- people, patients, trends, organizational accomplishments, topics focused on health, research and education and contemporary issues – and in making these subjects relatable to audiences important to media outlets.
- Maintains existing relationships with extensive media contacts and adept at building, managing and maintaining relationships to influence and support positive and proactive public and media relations efforts.
- Strategic use of social media platforms to communicate with the public, relevant stakeholders, and the media.
- Experience creating, understanding, and using reporting metrics to assess impact and reach of earned media.
- Able to draft well written statements, talking points and preparatory materials.
- General comfort interacting with, counseling, and preparing senior leadership for upcoming interviews and/or emerging public relations issues.
- Able to translate complex subjects into explanatory pitches and storytelling for print and multimedia uses.
- Strategically oriented and able to align with, and execute against, a strategic plan.
- Skilled in interview preparation and story management strategy.
- Proven experience in a high-stakes environment with the ability to prioritize a demanding workload with multiple deadlines.
- Digital and multimedia savvy – experienced in thinking about the visual assets that enhance a media pitch and delivering assets to media to support a pitch or placement.
- Facile writer with experience across traditional print, digital and social channels. Oriented toward multimedia storytelling – comfortable using a smartphone to shoot photographs and video. Experience with video news releases and B-roll selection and management.
- Proven success in a high stakes environment with the ability to prioritize a demanding workload with multiple and changing priorities and deadlines.