Finding a Job at the UVM Medical Center
Working at the UVM Medical Center is about providing the highest quality patient care. The needs of patients are our first priority, regardless of where you work in the organization. At the UVM Medical Center, you will discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism and mutual respect — and a life-changing career.
The UVM Medical Center offers job opportunities in:
- Direct patient care, such as physicians, nurses, radiologists and EMTs
- Technical areas, including information systems and equipment maintenance
- Support roles, such as administrative and customer service
- Operations, including security, finance, human resources and food service
To get the most up-to-date information on currently-available jobs at the UVM Medical Center, search our currently-available job postings and review the specific requirements for jobs you are interested in.
Finding and Applying for a Job
The first step in finding the right job at the UVM Medical Center is searching the online job postings. You can search the job postings as much as you like, but you must create an account to submit an application. The jobs listed in the tool are displayed chronologically in groups of five. Click "Next" to see the next set of five.
- To search for specific job types, titles or other search criteria, click on the Search Jobs link.
- To view more information on a particular job posting, click on the Job Title link. If you decide to apply for the job, click on the Apply Now link that is within the job description.
- If you require assistance with the online application, review the Application FAQs.
Once you have applied for a position, your application is reviewed by one of our recruiters. If you meet the requirements for the job, you will receive a telephone call or email that starts the initial screening process of getting to know you better.
The Interview Process
For many positions, we ask candidates to participate in a prerecorded or live digital video interview before an in-person interview. The recruiter will give you details on the requirements for your position, but if you do need to do a digital interview, you must have a reliable internet connection, a webcam, a microphone, a quiet environment and a well-lit location.
If you meet the initial screening criteria, your application is reviewed by the hiring manager. The recruiter or the hiring manager will then contact you directly to set up an interview.
If you require assistance with the online application or have other questions:
- Contact the Recruitment team via telephone at 802-722-9922, Option 3, Monday through Friday from 8am to 4:30pm EST.
- Use the on-site computer kiosk on Tuesdays from 8am to 4pm at 1 South Prospect Street on the fifth floor of the St. Joseph building. This can be reached via Elevator A.
Everyone we hire directly contributes to the culture of their department and the organization. If you are a patient-centric, positive team player, we hope you are interested in joining us at the UVM Medical Center.
COVID-19 Guidelines for In-Person Interviews
All employees, including our employed physicians and also travelers working in our facilities, are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Those who decline vaccination will be subject to weekly COVID-19 testing when this requirement goes into effect on October 1, 2021.
Please note the following guidelines for on-campus, in-person interviews. This protocol is based on current Vermont Department of Health guidance.
- Vaccinated individuals (both health care workers and non-health care workers) are permitted to attend in-person interviews with no restrictions or testing.
- Unvaccinated health care workers must observe the following requirements and restrictions:
- No on-campus dining is permitted.
- Must provide proof of a negative PCR test for COVID, obtained within three days prior to arrival
- Must postpone visit if COVID test is positive (unless you have had COVID in last 90 days, in which case you must consult Infectious Disease for next steps).
Once you have accepted the position, received your offer letter and onboarding checklist from your recruiter, you will start the Onboarding Process. One of the Medical Center's Onboarding Coordinators will hire you into the system. At that time you will receive an email from Sterling to complete the required background check. You will also receive multiple emails from Workday, a system that guides new employees through required paperwork. Typically 2 weeks prior to a new employees start date you will receive a phone call from one of our Onboarding Coordinators to help you set up your required onboarding and health screening appointment. All paperwork must be completed and received by your Onboarding Coordinator prior to this meeting.
The final step in onboarding, New Employee Orientation, is for all UVM Medical Center employees across all units and jobs. The Orientation covers the basics of being an employee at the UVM Medical Center; a full day of exciting events!
Applicant's Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some commonly asked questions about our employment process here at The University of Vermont Medical Center. Thank you for your interest! If you are a UVM Medical Center employee looking for more information, please visit our Current Employees page.
How often are the job postings updated?
Job postings are updated daily.
What is the best way to search the job postings?
The job postings listed in the Search Jobs page tool are displayed chronologically in groups of five. You will see the most recently-posted jobs on the first screen you see. Click Next to see the next set of five, continuing until you reach the end of the list. To set specific search criteria, click Search Jobs. To view more information on a particular job posting, click on the Job Title link.
How long does the application take to complete?
We recommend that you give yourself from 30 minutes to an hour to complete the application. Be prepared to include three professional references and their phone numbers, as well as the details of your employment history.
How do I attach my resume to my application?
You are given the option to attach your resume when you fill out your application:
- Choose Upload a New Resume and click the Browse button to find the file you want to attach.
- Double-click on the file.
- When the file name appears in the box next to the Browse button, click Upload to attach it.
You are then prompted to complete the online application. You will need to attach your resume each time you apply for a job, but you can use a resume you've already uploaded.
Can I attach a different resume each time I apply?
What happens to my application after it is submitted?
If you meet the screening criteria, your application will be reviewed by the hiring manager. The recruiter or the hiring manager will then contact you directly to set up an interview. Throughout the hiring process, you can track the status of your job application by logging into the Careers home page and clicking on the Accepted/Unaccepted Applications link.
What if I forgot my password?
If you are not a UVM Medical Center employee, click on the "Forgot Password?" link and follow the instructions. Your password will be sent to your e-mail address. If you are a UVM Medical Center employee, call 847-2822or the IS Help Desk at 847-1414.
What if I need additional help with the application process?
The Recruitment team is available to help you with any questions or issues you may have: Contact the Recruitment team via telephone at 802-722-9922, Option 3, Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm EST, or you can send an email to one of our recruiters. Use the on-site computer kiosk at the UHC Campus on the fifth floor of the St. Joseph building on Tuesdays between 8 am and 4 pm. It can be reached via Elevator A.
Careers at UVM Medical Center
Living in Vermont
Living in Burlington