Giving permission for an autopsy is a means of increasing medical knowledge through more precise diagnosis, as well a through educational and research opportunities. Thus autopsy benefits you and your family and our community.
A hospital autopsy can be requested by family members or by physicians involved in the care of the deceased. the legal next-of-kin (spouse > adult child > parents) decides whether they desire an autopsy and sign consent forms. Autopsies are typically performed at no cost familie. Autopsies are generally performed Monday - Friday.
Autopsy Medical Director: Sharon Mount, MD
Anatomic Pathology Manager: Timothy St. John, CT (ASCP)
Supervisor: Michelle Schwartz, PA (ASCP)
Laboratory Contact Information
If you have any questions about Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, please contact Laboratory Customer Service, at 847-5121 or 1-800-991-2799 or Fax 802-847-5905. University of Vermont Medical Center, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine-MP-103, Burlington VT 05401.
To visit the Laboratory Test Catalog, Click Here
Licensure and Accreditations
- American Association of Blood Banks
- American Society For Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics
- College of American Pathologists-Main Campus
- College of American Pathologists-Fanny Allen Laboratory
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments '88 Main campus
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments '88 Fanny Allen
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy
- New York State Department of Health, Clinical Laboratory Permit