Radiation Oncology - Main Campus
111 Colchester Avenue
Main Campus, Garden Pavilion, Level 2
Burlington, VT 05401-1473
The Radiation Oncology Department at the University of Vermont (UVM) Medical Center is the only one in the state offering high-dose rate radiation therapy, a form of internal radiation, or brachytherapy. It's a treatment option for patients who have endometrial, cervical, vaginal, breast or prostate cancer.
High-Dose Rate Radiation Therapy at the UVM Medical Center
Our Garden Pavilion houses all radiation oncology services in one convenient location. Here, our specialists provide a comprehensive approach to cancer treatment. At the UVM Medical Center you benefit from:
- Advanced technology: We offer the latest approaches to tumor localization and radiation treatment. We are the only medical facility in the state offering high-dose rate bracytherapy.
- Faster treatments: High-dose rate radiation therapy allows us to shorten the overall treatment time for patients who qualify. On average, this radiation therapy requires only a few days compared to weeks with other treatments.
- Experience and expertise: Each year, we perform more than 100 high-dose rate internal radiation therapies and provide other treatments to more than 800 people who have cancer.
- Teamwork: Our radiation oncology team works seamlessly with your physician, surgeon, hematologist and other medical professionals to provide a comprehensive approach to your individual cancer care.
- Personalized care: At the UVM Medical Center, our goal is to enhance your quality of life both during and after cancer treatment. Our Cancer Patient Support Program provides emotional and educational support to you and your family. Our free Steps to Wellness program helps you regain muscle strength and increase stamina so you can more quickly return to enjoying everyday activities following cancer treatments.
- Convenience: Our location adjacent to the Vermont Cancer Center and the parking garage provides easy access between the areas.
- Therapeutic touches: We designed the Garden Pavilion to provide both comfort and privacy based on input from patients and families. Each treatment area has two exam rooms and two private changing rooms complete with personal restrooms and lockers. Rooftop flower and vegetable gardens offer a tranquil retreat for you and your family. Natural light from skylights and windows brighten and warm the facility.
What is High-Dose Rate Radiation (HDR) Therapy?
The UVM Medical Center is the only medical facility in the state offering high-dose rate radiation therapy, a form of internal radiation called brachytherapy. With this cancer treatment, your surgeon uses ultrasound images to guide the insertion of applicators called catheters inside or near your cancerous tumor.
Your physician then uses a robotic machine to place radioactive pellets called implants into the catheters. It takes just a few minutes for the implants to irradiate the tumor. Afterwards, your physicians remove the implants. The catheters remain in place until your treatment is complete.
Benefits of HDR Therapy
The benefits of HDR therapy include:
- More precise delivery of highly-concentrated radiation to targeted cancerous area
- Limited radiation exposure to surrounding healthy tissues and organs
- Fewer side effects than standard radiation therapy
- Brief radiation treatment session lasting only a few minutes
- Shortened overall treatment time typically requiring a few days as compared to weeks with other cancer treatments
- Can be combined with other cancer treatments for greater efficacy
Am I a Candidate for HDR Therapy?
Your physician may recommend high-dose rate radiation therapy if you have:
- Cervical cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
For more information call us at 802-847-3506.