Public and Media Relations Specialist
|Location and Address||Building Name: 1 South Prospect Street|
|Building Name||Building Name: 1 South Prospect Street|
|Department||Comm & Engagement Strategies|
|Shift||Day (United States of America)|
|Primary Shift||8:00 am - 4:30 pm|
|Salary Range||Min/Hour $29.04 Mid/Hour $36.30 Max/Hour $43.55|
|Job Requisition Id||R0012844|
The Public and Media Relations Specialist is a seasoned communications strategist who works to build awareness, reputation and an enhanced understanding of the value of the work being advanced by the UVM Health Network among local, regional and national audiences. This individual is skilled in issues management and public affairs and has a thorough understanding of how the media works, recognizing the dual need for proactive and reactive media contact along with outreach and placement strategies that do not depend on media interest for the dissemination of our news. The Public and Media Relations Specialist is based primarily in Burlington and mines for stories of impact at the UVM Medical Center and across the Network to support strategic priorities, builds new and maintains existing relationships with the media and works specifically to differentiate and reach new and influential audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, radio/television/multimedia or government relations preferred.
- At least seven years of experience in public and media relations, communications or government/public relations.
- Proven track record of generating high impact placements with major media outlets.
- Entrepreneurial in nature and proactive, oriented to mining for stories on a range of topics -- people, patients, trends, organizational accomplishments, health-related topics and contemporary issues -- that are relatable for a variety of audiences.
- Adept at building, managing and maintaining relationships to influence and support positive and proactive public and media relations efforts.
- Expertise in strategy execution, communication planning and specifically skilled in issues management.
- Able to translate complex subjects into explanatory pitches and storytelling for print and multimedia uses.
- Strategically-oriented and able to align with and execute against a strategic plan.
- Skilled in interview preparation and story management strategy.
- Proven experience in a high stakes environment with the ability to prioritize a demanding workload with multiple deadlines.
- Digital and multimedia savvy - experienced in thinking about the visual assets that enhance a media pitch and delivering assets to media to support a pitch or placement.
- Facile writer with experience across traditional print, digital and social channels. Oriented toward multimedia storytelling –comfortable using a Smartphone to shoot photographs and video. Experience with video news releases and B-roll selection and management.
The University of Vermont Medical Center is committed to being a national model for the delivery of high quality academic health care for a rural region. Learn more...
The University of Vermont Medical Center will continue to ensure that individuals are employed, and that employees are treated during candidacy and employment, without regard to their sex, gender identity or expression, ancestry, place of birth, HIV status, marital status, age, language, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status or obligation for service in the armed forces, or any other characteristic protected by law in all employment practices as follows:
Employment decisions at The University of Vermont Medical Center are based on legitimate job related criteria. All personnel actions or programs that affect qualified individuals, such as employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment, advertising, termination, rate of pay or other forms of compensation, and selection for training, are made without discrimination based upon the individual’s sex, gender identity or expression, ancestry, place of birth, HIV status, marital status, age, language, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status or obligation for service in the armed forces, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn More on Our Blog
EEO is the law.